2016 MEN’S NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Wednesday, March 23 – Saturday, March 26
- McAuley Aquatic Center – Atlanta, GA
- Prelims 10AM/Finals 6PM (Eastern Time)
- Defending Champion: Texas (results)
- Championship Central
- Live stream: Wednesday/Thursday prelins & finals, Friday/Saturday prelims / Friday/Saturday finals on ESPN3
- Live results
Cal junior Ryan Murphy broke his third NCAA Record of the weekend in the men’s 200 backstroke individual final, after previously breaking the 100 backstroke both in a relay leadoff and in the individual final.
Going into the final turn, with his own record on-the-line Murphy did a monstrous flutter kick once he’d rotated on to his stomach – which was visibly distinct from that of his competitors.
At the final touch, he had built a two body-length lead on the field for a dominant victory.
As reported by Morgan Priestley:
After his impressive efforts earlier this week and an incredibly smooth 1:37.80, odds were that Ryan Murphy would take down his own NCAA, American, and U.S. Open records in the 200 yard backstroke. Murphy delivered on that expectation, getting out in front from the gun, flipping in 22.20 at the 50 and 46.36 in the 100 en route to a final time of 1:35.73, more than a full second under his previous record. Along the way, Murphy was equal to or better than his previous record splits for each 50.
The split comparison:
|Murphy, Atlanta, 03/26/16||22.20||46.36 (24.16)||1:10.86 (24.50)||1:35.73 (24.87)|
|Murphy, Iowa City, 03/28/15||22.91||47.32 (24.41)||1:11.82 (24.50)||1:36.77 (24.95)|
Cal teammate Jacob Pebley came back to finish second in 1:38.50, while Hennessey Stuart of NC State was third in 1:38.56
Murphy now owns three of the top four times and five of the top ten times in history.
- Ryan Murphy – 1:35.73 (Atlanta, 03/26/2016)
- Murphy – 1:36.77 (Iowa City, 03/28/2015)
- Ryan Lochte – 1:36.81 (Atlanta, 11/29/2007)
- Murphy – 1:37.35 (Austin, 03/27/2014)
- Tyler Clary – 1:37.58 (College Station, 03/26/2009)
- Lochte – 1:37.68 (Atlanta, 03/23/2006)
- Murphy – 1:37.80 (Atlanta, 03/26/2016)
- Arkady Vyatchanin – 1:37.87 (Knoxville, 12/05/2013)
- Murphy – 1:38.15 (Austin, 11/29/2012)
- Tyler Clary – 1:38.17 (College Station, 03/26/2009)