Valparaiso vs Bethel
- January 24, 2020
- Mishawaka, Indiana
Courtesy: Valparaiso Athletics
The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams both emerged with victories Friday, as they traveled to Mishawaka to take on the Bethel Pilots. The women won every event on their side, while the men won all but two events on their side.
How It Happened
- The first win for the women came in the 400-medley relay as the team of Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan), Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island), Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) recorded a time of 4:08.83.
- Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) tallied two individual wins in the 1000 free (11:28.67) and the 100 free (56.96). She also recorded a relay win in the 200 free relay, anchoring alongside teammates Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors), Emily Humphrey (Crawfordsville, Ind./Crawfordsville) and Mariah Sturdivant (Chicago, Ill./George Westinghouse Prep) as they posted a time of 1:44.74.
- Wright picked up two individual wins of her own in the 200 free (1:59.25) and the 100 backstroke (1:00.35).
- Morelock recorded two individual wins in the 400 IM (4:58.72) and the 500 free (5:27.13).
- DePover, Martins and Humphrey each won an individual event to secure all the events on the women’s side. Martins claimed top honors in the 50 free (25.92), Humphrey in the 100 fly (1:08.61) and DePover in the 100 breaststroke (1:08.08).
- Ethan Johnson (Ames, Iowa/Ames), Gus Rytting (Houston, Texas/Lamar), Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura) and Dominic May (Naperville, Ill/Naperville Central) got the men started in the win column in the 400-medley relay, stopping the clock at 3:41.77.
- May had the most individual wins for the men with two, winning both the 50 free (22.03) and the 100 free (48.32).
- Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East), Keenan Burgess (Charlotte, N.C./Christ the King) and Noah Zapolski (Davenport, Iowa/Bettendorf) each won a freestyle event. Daniels won the 1000 free, recording a time of 10:20.18. Zapolski won the 200 free, posting a time of 1:53.10. Burgess won the last freestyle event in the 500 with a time of 5:02.12.
- Eidson won the 100 backstroke with a time of 57.17, while Brendan Johnson (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) won the 400 IM, stopping the clock at 4:28.30.
- The men won the final relay of the day as the team of Eidson, Zapolski, Daniels and Adam Chwieros (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North) picked up the win in the 200 free relay, recording a time of 1:32.23.
- The women won by a score of 161-31, while the men won by a score of 143-55. For the Valpo women, it was their fourth dual meet win of the year and the men claimed their third victory.
Valpo travels to Fishers, Ind. to compete in the Butler Invitational on Sunday, January 26. The events are scheduled to start at 11:00 a.m. CT.