2021 SPEEDO SUMMER CHAMPIONSHIPS – IRVINE
- August 3-7
- William Woollett Jr. Aquatics Center, Irvine, CA
- LCM (50m)
- Meet Website (USA Swimming)
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Live Stream (USA Swimming)
- Day 1 Finals Live Recap
Teagan O’Dell of Irvine Novaquatics started off the first finals session of the Summer Championships in Irvine with a bang, blasting a 55.82 100 meter freestyle to rank herself as the 5th all-time fastest 13-14-year-old in the event.
Three out of the four swimmers ranked ahead of her are now Olympic medalists while Erika Pelaez posted a 55.51 in March to become one of the youngest U.S. Olympic Trials Wave II qualifiers.
All-Time Top 5 100 LCM Free Times in 13-14 Age Group in the U.S.
- 54.03 – Missy Franklin (2009)
- 55.00 – Lia Neal (2009)
- 55.51 – Taylor Ruck (2015)
- 55.51 – Erika Pelaez (2021)
- 55.82 – Teagan O’Dell (2021)
She took out the race in 27.27 and came back on the last 50 meters in 28.55.
O’Dell dropped a total of .83 from her lifetime best time going into this meet from the Mission Viejo Summer Junior Olympics about a week ago.
Her previous best time going into this meet was a 56.65 from a relay lead-off start.
This morning during prelims, O’Dell tied Simone Manuel for #14 all-time in the 13-14 age group with a time of 56.34.
She has made rapid time drops in this event over the past few months:
- Nov. 2019: 58.33 at Kevin Perry Invite (then a career-best)
- May 2021: 57.45 & 57.20 at CA Grand Challenge
- June 2021: 57.19 & 56.99 & 56.72 at Fran Crippen SMOC
- July 2021: 56.65 at MVN Summer Junior Olympics
- August 2021: 56.34 at West Summer Championships
- August 2021: 55.82 at West Summer Championships
In the time span of three months, O’Dell has dropped from a 57.45 in May to a 55.82 in early August.