Must be passionate, knowledgeable, energetic, & have the ability to lead a top tier age group program.
Under the direction of the Competitive Swimming Director, oversees and directs the development of the age group program. This includes maintaining a high level of communication with fellow coaches and swim team parents, running daily practices, planning events (competitive and social), completing swim meet entries, seasonal scheduling, planning program capacities, supervision of the Eight and Under program, supervision of assistant coaches at the age group and 8 and Under levels, building supervision and budget responsibilities. The Assistant Competitive Swimming Director must be able to answer questions pertaining to all levels of the swim team and areas of the YMCA, assist with the operation of all home meets, as well as assist the Competitive Swimming Director in areas related to the swim team as needed. The ACSD will also assist with the senior and national team practices and administration. Full time benefits: medical/dental; YMCA 12% retirement; 22 vacation,8 sick, 2 personal days; long term disability; life insurance. No relocation reimbursement. Swim team consists of 200+ kids in New Canaan, CT.
Previous competitive coaching experience/participation is strongly recommended, as well as strong administrative, organizational, and computer skills. Knowledge of Hy-Tek swimming software is preferred. Certifications in the following safety areas: CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED, Lifeguard Training or Safety Training for the Swim Coaches, and First Aid. Minimum ASCA level two certification recommended.Other certifications: YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving and USA Swimming Foundations of Coaching. Must successfully complete and pass a USA swimming background check.
- Organize and run practices for the Age Group levels.
- Attend weekly coaches meetings.
- Oversee the 8 and Under program.
- Report to the Competitive Swimming Director on matters relating to the Age Group and 8 and Under levels. (i.e. assistant coaches, practice schedules, team development, etc.)
- Attend all meets schedule for the Age Group level teams, as well as meets assigned by the Competitive Swimming Director.
- Assist Competitive Swimming Director with senior level practices.
- Reply to phone messages and e-mails in a timely manner (next day or ASAP).
- Develop and assist with the distribution of the monthly newsletter.
- Assist in website development (photos, meet announcements, team information, etc.)
- Keep all required certifications up to date (CPR, Coaches Safety Training, First Aid).
- Correspond daily and weekly on matters pertaining swim team.
- Update swim team hotline daily.
- Continue personal education related to the sport of swimming.
- Attend at least one professional coaching clinic per year.
- Attend the YMCA National Championships (Short and Long Course), as well as any other team travel event that requires an extended overnight stay.
- Assist Competitive Swimming Director in developing and maintaining Age Group team budget areas.
- Assist in the supervision and evaluation of part-time coaches.
- Attend all professional staff meetings to keep informed of all activities at the YMCA. Perform weekend “On Call” duty and “Opening/Closing” responsibilities, as determined by procedures.
- Assist in all YMCA activities and special events, as needed, to ensure their success
- Perform other duties as designated by the supervisor.
- Job Description may be changed at any time by supervisor.
- Sufficient Strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position, and to supervise program activities
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, and talk.
- The employee may occasionally need to exercise these physical labor demands of light work, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally.
While performing the duties of this job, this individual may occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, wet and/or humid environments, moderate/ extreme noise
Minimum ASCA level two certification recommended. Other certifications: YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving and USA Swimming Foundations of Coaching.
HOW TO APPLY
Email resume to [email protected]
About New Canaan YMCA
The New Canaan YMCA is committed to strengthening our community with a focus on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Swimming News / Swimming Job is courtesy of New Canaan YMCA.