In an informal survey by the American College Connection (ACC) more than 100 Division I swim coaches say their scholarship budget has not been affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
The ACC is a recruiting service and SwimSwam sponsor. Their Director of Swimming Rick Paine says the organization got more than 100 Division I swim coaches to respond to its survey, with 100% of coaches saying their scholarship budget moving forward has not been affected by financial losses from the coronavirus pandemic.
On the other hand, 100% of respondents said their travel budget would be affected. That tracks with an update from the College Swimming Coaches Association of American (CSCAA) that 60 swimming & diving programs in Division I have cut a collective $2.7 million from their budgets to help their athletic departments.
The American College Connection says it reached out to every Division I head swimming coach and got about 70% to respond to the survey. Some other findings from the survey:
- 100% said scholarship budgets will not be affected
- 100% said travel budgets will be affected
- 95% said team roster size will not be affected. (In fact, some programs said their athletic departments are encouraging larger rosters with more walk-ons to provide more financial help for their schools)
- 85% say the size of their travel squad may be affected
- 50% say their recruiting budget may be affected
- 25% say their salary may be reduced slightly
Future surveys are planned for the Division II, Division III and NAIA levels.