2020 Butler Invitational
- January 26, 2020
- Fishers, Indiana
Courtesy: Saint Louis Athletics
FISHERS, Ind. – Saint Louis won the women’s competition and finished second in the men’s meet at the five-team Butler Invitational Sunday afternoon.
The Billiken women scored 762 points to edge Xavier, which tallied 746. Xavier captured the men’s title with 745 points, followed by Saint Louis with 612.5.
Butler, Youngstown State and Eastern Illinois also participated in the women’s meet. Ball State, Eastern Illinois and Youngstown State were the other men’s teams competing.
Emily Smith led the SLU women with a win and two second-place finishes. Smith won the 200 back (2:07.71) and claimed second in the 100 back (58.58). She was joined by Alexis Beine, Bri Hodgkins and Mary First on the runner-up 200 medley relay team (1:49.03).
First, Hodgkins, Natalie Daniel and Katie Schmude also turned in three top-5 finishes. First was second in the 50 free (24.58) and was joined by Daniel, Olivia Tate and Sophie Kishish on the second-place 400 free relay quartet (3:41.28). Hodgkins was runner-up in the 200 fly (2:07.61) and third in the 100 fly (59.04).
Daniel was second in the 200 free (1:56.47) and fourth in the 100 free (54.06). Schmude placed second in the 200 IM (2:11.13) and fourth in the 100 back (59.71) and 200 back (2:08.79).
Also recording top-5 finishes were Sara Desing, second in the 1650 free (17:45.62) and fifth in the 500 free (5:13.93); Pola Luckiewicz, second in the 100 free (53.99) and fifth in the 50 free (24.95); Savannah Nichols, third in the 200 fly (2:08.03) and fourth in the 100 fly (59.12); Lindsey Turner, third in the 500 free (5:13.86) and fifth in the 1650 free (17:57.27); Ellie Benge, fourth in the 200 fly (2:10.02) and fifth in the 100 fly (59.94); Tessa Horan, third in the 200 IM (2:11.26); and Kishish, fifth in the 200 free (1:58.47).
Janssen Gamilla, Collin O’Brien and Keegan Paulson were the top performers for the men’s team. Gamilla won the 200 fly (1:53.56) and 100 fly (49.64) and joined O’Brien, Paulson and Matthew Terrian on the winning 200 medley relay squad (1:33.66). Gamilla also captured second place in the 200 IM (1:55.79). O’Brien was runner-up in the 100 breast (57.92) and 200 breast (2:09.59) and third in the 200 IM (1:56.16). Paulson won the 100 back (50.95) and finished third in the 200 back (1:55.27).
Terrian added a fifth place in the 50 free (21.61) to his relay victory. Also landing among the top five in two events were T.J. Halliburton, second in the 100 back (51.81) and 200 back (1:53.32); Grant Streid, second in the 200 fly (1:54.87) and third in the 100 fly (51.21); Kade Johnson, third in the 1650 free (16:46.83) and fifth in the 500 free (4:52.85); and Tyler Guist, fourth in the 200 free (1:45.45) and fifth in the 200 IM (2:00.26).
The Billikens conclude the regular season Saturday, Feb. 1, with a home meet vs. Missouri-St. Louis. Start time at Simon Recreation Center is 2 p.m.
Courtesy: Xavier Athletics
FISHERS, Ind., — Xavier men’s swimming earned a first-place overall finish on Sunday afternoon at the Butler Invite. The men earned a combined 745 points. The men combined for eight, top individual finishes. Jon Bernard touched the wall first in three different events.
The women’s squad earned a second-place finish, behind St. Louis. The women combined for 746 score total while St. Louis tallied a 762 score. Despite a second-place finish, the Musketeer women earned top individual finishes in 10 different events throughout the day. Taylor Hogan had two. Top individual finishes while Emily Conners had three, two relay and one individual.
Team total points included a diving portion of the competition, which Xavier did not compete.
||WOMEN’S TOP TIMES|
|200 Medley Relay||Fort, Schaeffer, Gaertner, Conners||1:46.89||1st|
|1650 Free||Tilly Baldwin||17:56.82||4th|
|200 Free||Clare Bosse||1:56.25||1st|
|100 Back||Brooke Atkins||58.09||1st|
|100 Breast||Lydia Schaeffer||1:06.59||1st|
|200 Fly||Taylor Hogan||2:05.82||1st|
|50 Free||Emily Conners||24.32||1st|
|100 Free||Clare Bosse||53.91||1st|
|200 Back||Brooke Atkins||2:07.99||2nd|
|200 Breast||Lydia Schaeffer||2:24.89||2nd|
|500 Free||Emma Kauffeld||5:12.54||2nd|
|100 Fly||Taylor Hogan||57.60||1st|
|200 IM||Alison Herman||2:10.45||1st|
|400 Free Relay||Conners, Bosse, Saugstad, Cummins||3:36.50||1st|
- The women claimed the first victory of the day in the 200-medley relay. Ai Fort, Lydia Schaeffer, Lorelei Gaertner and Emily Conners claimed first, touching the wall at 1:46.89.
- In the 1650 free, Tilly Baldwin led the Musketeers with a fourth-place finish at 17:56.82.
- Clare Bosse added another top finish for Xavier in the 200 free, finishing at 1:56.35. Emma Kauffeld took third in this portion of the competition, 1:57.24.
- In the 100-back, Brooke Atkins touched the wall first. The freshman’s time was 58.09. Ali Fort came in a close third at 58.85.
- Xavier claimed the top two places in the 100-breast. Lydia Schaeffer led finishing at 1:06.59. Shortly behind was Alison Herman, who took second, at 1:07.70.
- Taylor Hogan led the meet finishing in first for the 200 fly. Hogan touched the wall at 2:05.82, a minute and a half before the second-place finisher.
- Emily Conners claimed her second first place finish of the day in the 50-free. The senior led three top four finishes for Xavier at 24.32. Emily Saugstad finished in third at 24.67 and Maureen Cummins in close fourth at 24.68.
- Clare Bosse earned her second individual first place finish in the 100 free, 53.91. Emily Saugstad claimed third, 54.02.
- In the 200-back, Brooke Atkins led Xavier finishing in second place. Atkins touched the wall at 2:07.99.
- Xavier earned the top four finishes in the 200-breast. Lydia Schaeffer led the way, finishing at 2:24.89. Kelly Harris followed in second, 2:26.15, while Alison Herman finished in third at 2:26.51. Samantha White touched fourth, 2:29.26.
- Emma Kauffeld finished in second, 5:12.54, in the 500-free.
- Taylor Hogan and Lorelei Gaertner earned top two finishes in the 100-fly. Hogan touched the wall at 57.60 while Gaertner finished just behind at 57.89.
- Alison Herman was the top finisher in 200 IM. Herman finished at 2:10.45.
- The Musketeers finished the meet taking the fastest time in the 400-free relay. Emily Conners, Clare Bosse, Emily Saugstad and Maureen Cummins finished with an impressive 3:36.50 time.
- Saint Louis led on the women’s side with 762 points. Xavier came in second with 746. Butler placed third while Youngstown State finished in fourth. Lastly, Eastern Illinois came in fifth.
||MEN’S TOP TIMES|
|200 Medley Relay||Sironen, Bernard, Abboud, Thomas||1:33.87||2nd|
|1650 Free||Andrew Martin||16:02.16||1st|
|200 Free||Ben Quon||1:43.00||1st|
|100 Back||Alex Sironen||51.90||3rd|
|100 Breast||Jon Bernard||56.86||1st|
|200 Fly||Brandon Abboud||1:55.08||3rd|
|50 Free||Roark Lundal||21.86||7th|
|100 Free||Christian Thomas||46.70||2nd|
|200 Back||Ben Quon||1:52.78||1st|
|200 Breast||Jon Bernard||2:03.76||1st|
|500 Free||Brett Wilson||4:44.09||1st|
|100 Fly||Brandon Abboud||51.00||2nd|
|200 IM||Jon Bernard||1:53.59||1st|
|400 Free Relay||Thomas, Abboud, Martin, Sironen||3:05.88||1st|
- On the men’s side, Xavier took second place in the 200-medley. Alex Sironen, Jon Bernard, Brandon Abboud, Christian Thomas touched the wall behind St. Louis at 1:33.87.
- Andrew Martin led event in the 1650-free, touching the wall at 16:02.16. Will Serad finished in second at 16:29.33.
- Xavier earned the top two finishes in the 200-free. Ben Quon claimed first at 1:43.00 while Jared Ritz came in second, 1:44.54.
- Alex Sironen touched the wall third in the 100-back, 51.90. Christian Thomas followed in fourth at 52.05.
- Jon Bernard earned his top finish of the day in the 100-breast. Bernard finished at 56.86.
- Brandon Abboud led Xavier in the 200-fly, finishing in third place, 1:55.08.
- Roark Lundal led Xavier in seventh of the 50-free.
- Christian Thomas took a second-place finish, at 46.70, in the 100 free.
- Ben Quon earned his second individual first place finish in the 200-back, 1:52.78.
- Jon Bernard also earned another individual top finish, 2:03.76, in the 200-breast. Davis Klein took third and Cameron Weese took fourth.
- In the 500-free, Xavier claimed the first two finishes. Brett Wilson led the way, touching the wall at 4:44.09 while Daniel Stroh took a close second-place finish.
- Brandon Abboud claimed second in the 100-fly, at 51.00.
- Jon Bernard earned his third top finish of the afternoon, in the 200 IM. The freshman had a time of 1:53.59.
- The Musketeers ended the day taking first and second in the 400-relay. Christian Thomas, Brandon Abboud, Andrew Martin and Alex Sironen took the first spot at 3:05.88. In second, Jared Ritz, Ben Quon, Ethan Wing and Matthew Geraghty touched at 3:09.03.
- Xavier led all teams with a 745 points. Saint Louis came in second at 612 while Ball State place third. Eastern Illinois came in at fourth while Youngstown State finished fifth.