2016 RUSSIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS / OLYMPIC TRIALS
- April 16-23rd, 2016
- Moscow, Russia
- Prelims 09:00/Finals 18:00 Local Time
- Prelims 02:00/Finals 11:00 U.S. Eastern Time
- Live results (IN ENGLISH – including event-by-event start lists)
- Live stream
- Russian selection criteria
Coming into day three were only four athletes who had qualified for the Russian Olympic team, after Monday there were eight and on Tuesday there were six more spots up for the taking. After the night was done only three of the six spots were claimed and two athletes added themselves to the Russian Olympic team
There were three women under the Olympic qualifying time of 1:58.12 in the 200 freestyle. Russian national record holder Veronika Popova took the event in a time of 1:56.91 she was followed by Viktoriia Andreeva who finished second in a time 1:57.35 and Arina Openysheva who hit the wall in a time of 1:57.66.
Popova and Andreeva both swam the 200 freestyle in Kazan. With her win Popova will be swimming the event in Rio, which will be the second times she has competed in the 200 freestyle at an Olympic Games.
Andreeva’s evening did not finish there she returned to the pool to win the 200 IM in an incredible performance. She posted a time of 2:09.56 demolishing the field by over six seconds, beating the national record by over two seconds and improving on her lifetime best by two and a half seconds.
Her time also puts her second in the world rankings.
RUSSIAN OLYMPIC QUALIFIERS – AFTER DAY 3
- Aleksandr Krasnykh, Tatarstan, 400 free, 3:47.30 (Standard: 3:48.27) & 200 freestyle, 1:47.00 (standard: 1:47.01)
- Svetlana Chimrova, Moscow City, 100 fly, 57.79 (Standard: 58.31)
- Vsevolod Zanko, Moscow City, 100 breast, 59.72 (Standard: 59.99)
- Kirill Prigoda, St.Petersburg 100 breast, 59.94 (Standard: 59.99)
- Evgeny Rylov – 100 backstroke, 53.04 (standard: 53.99)
- Grigory Tarasevich – 100 backstroke, 53.20 (standard: 53.99)
- Daria K Ustinova – 100 backstroke, 59.78 (standard: 1:00.05)
- Anastasia Fesikova – 100 backstroke, 59.91 (standard: 1:00.05)
- Veronika Popova – 200 freestyle, 1:56.91 (standard: 1:58.12)
- Viktoriia Andreeva – 200 freestyle, 1:56.91 (standard: 1:58.12) & 200 IM, 2:09.56 (standard: 2:13.24)