The Russian Age Group Championships for boys 15-16 years and girls 13-14 years, which 630 swimmers from 64 regions attended, were held in Volgograd from May 20th-23rd.
There were seven individual records broken over the four day competition, three of them by 14 year old Polina Egorova. Egorova broke the 100 backstroke record in the prelims swimming a time of 1:02.67, improving on her best time of 1:03.01, which she posted in February. In the final Egorova had another outstanding swim breaking her own record and winning the event in a time of 1:01.75.
Her time in the event was the top performance by a woman in the meet scoring 833 points on the FINA points chart.
Egorova’s improvement of 1.26 seconds in the 100 backstroke was impressive, but cutting her time in the 200 IM by almost six was outstanding. She set a new age group record in the event posting a time of 2:19.59, beating her lifetime best of 2:25.42 which she swum in February.
Other individual records were broken by:
- Basilissa Lush (Nizhny Novgorod region) – 50 m Freestyle – Final – 26.36
- Michael Vekovischev (Kaluga region) – 100 m Butterfly – Final – 54.01
- Daniel Pakhomov (St. Petersburg) – 200m butterfly – Final – 2.02,60
- Ilya Druginyn (Volgograd region) – 1500 m Freestyle – Final – 15.37,22
There was also one new relay record set during the meet:
- St. Petersburg (Alexander Kanaikin Roman Sevlakovs Daniel Pakhomov, Yegor Makeev) – 4x100m medley relay – Final – 3.49,16
On the men’s side 16 year old Arkady Grigoryev was the top performer swimming a time of 2:15.37 in the 200 breaststroke, scoring 825 points on the FINA points chart.
Anna Mikhailova was the top medal winner of the competition taking home five gold in total. Mikhailova won the 100 (1:02.41) and 200 butterfly (2:20.37) and was also part of the 4 x 100 medley, freestyle and mixed freestyle relay teams.
Full results of the meet can be found here.