The National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association (NISCA) released its All-America lists for high school swimmers in the 2020-21 academic year in July, along with lists for water polo, diving and paralympic athletes.
NISCA compiles the All-America lists each year. A few of the rules for selection:
- The lists only include swimmers between 9th and 12th grade.
- Swimmers must be on a school swim team and scholastically eligible to compete.
- The lists are compiled based on times swum during high school swim seasons and submitted by programs during the application window from November 1 through June 15.
- Athletes must hit All-America standards to be considered: those hitting “automatic” All-America times earn All-America status immediately. Those hitting “consideration” times earn All-America status if they rank within the top 100 of eligible, submitted times in that event.
Huske, set to begin her collegiate career at Stanford after winning a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympic Games, set new National High School Records in the girls’ 100 butterfly (49.95) and 200 IM (1:53.73) racing for Yorktown High School, and also holds down the #2 ranking in both the 50 (21.65) 100 freestyle (48.04).
Curtiss, representing The Pennington School in New Jersey, broke the boys’ record in the 50 freestyle (19.11) and Norman Public Schools’ Hayes set a new mark in the boys’ 100 fly (45.47). Both Curtiss and Hayes will attend NC State in the fall.
Huske, Hayes and Gretchen Walsh were the only swimmers to hold multiple top-rankings on the lists, with Hayes also leading the boys’ 100 free (43.00) and Walsh heading up the girls’ 50 free (21.61) and 100 free (47.55).
2020 U.S. Olympian Claire Curzan, who still has one more year of high school, had the top time in the girl’s 100 back (51.57), and also ranks second in the 100 fly (50.35). Curzan actually broke the National HS Record in the 100 fly before Huske re-broke it.
Find the leaders in each event below:
- 200 free: Justina Kozan (CA), 1:44.40
- 200 IM: Torri Huske (VA), 1:53.73*
- 50 free: Gretchen Walsh (TN), 21.61
- 100 fly: Torri Huske (VA), 49.95*
- 100 free: Gretchen Walsh (TN), 47.55
- 500 free: Blair Stoneburg (FL), 4:38.90
- 100 back: Claire Curzan (NC), 51.57
- 100 breast: Emma Weber (CO), 59.93
- 200 medley relay: Brookfield East High (WI), 1:38.36
- 200 free relay: Neuqua Valley High (IL), 1:31.02
- 400 free relay: Carmel High (IN), 3:18.84
- 200 free: Luke Hobson (NV), 1:33.93
- 200 IM: Max Iida (IL), 1:44.86
- 50 free: David Curtiss (NJ), 19.11*
- 100 fly: Aiden Hayes (OK), 45.47*
- 100 free: Aiden Hayes (OK), 43.00
- 500 free: Rex Maurer (CA), 4:19.57
- 100 back: Will Modglin (IN), 46.60
- 100 breast: Josh Matheny (PA), 51.84
- 200 medley relay: Cherry Creek High (CO), 1:28.61
- 200 free relay: Penn High (IN), 1:21.29
- 400 free relay: Carmel High (IN) – 2:58.70
*National High School Record
You can find the other NISCA lists for the 2021 season below: