Courtesy: Mountain West Conference
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – For the second-straight year, San Diego State’s Klara Thormalm has been named the Mountain West Swimmer of the Year as voted on by the league’s head coaches. Wyoming’s Melissa Mirafuentes was selected as the MW Diver of Year, while UNLV’s Ben Loorz was named Swimming Coach of the Year and Wyoming’s Ted Everett earned Diving Coach of the Year.
This marks the third-straight year that San Diego State has earned at least one postseason award. It is the first time for UNLV and Wyoming to win postseason awards since 2008 and 2009, respectively.
SWIMMER OF THE YEAR
Klara Thormalm, Sr., San Diego State
- Second-straight season to win Mountain West Swimmer of the Year honor.
- Earned All-Conference honors in three individual events (50-free, 100-breast, 200-breast) and four relay events (200-medley relay, 400-medley relay, 200-free relay, 400-free relay).
- Named MW Championship Swimmer of the Meet for the second-straight year.
- Won MW title in the 200-medley relay (1:38.31) and 100-breast (1:00.19).
- Competed in NCAA Championship in the 50-free, 100-breast and 200-breast.
- Placed 11th in the 100-breast with a Conference-record 58.68.
- Recorded a career-best time of 22.38 in the 50-free at NCAA Championship.
DIVER OF THE YEAR
Melissa Mirafuentes, So., Wyoming
- Second diver from Wyoming to win Mountain West Diver of the Year (Stephanie Ortiz, 2009).
- Named Diver of the Meet at 2021 MW Championships for the second-straight year.
- Won the platform diving event at Conference championship with a score of 280.50.
- Placed second at MW Championship in 1-meter and 3-meter dives.
- Competed at NCAA Championship in all three dive events.
- Finished 13th in platform dive at NCAA Championship.
SWIMMING COACH OF THE YEAR
Ben Loorz, UNLV
- Led UNLV to first Mountain West Swimming & Diving title since 2005.
- Second UNLV swimming coach to win MW Swimming Coach of the Year (Jim Reitz, 2005).
DIVING COACH OF THE YEAR
Ted Everett, Wyoming
- Second Wyoming diving coach to win MW Diving Coach of the Year (Ben Herdt, 2006, 09).