Montenegro claimed the 2020 FINA Men’s Water Polo World League Super Final gold tonight in Tbilisi (GEO), as the tournament ended after six fierce competition days (June 26-July 1), their third overall World League title (2009, 2018).
After winning the Olympic Qualifier in Rotterdam (NED) at the start of the year, the Balkan team reigned again this year by upsetting Team USA 9-8 in the gold match (2-0, 2-2, 3-3, 2-3), while Greece, the Qualifier tournament silver medallist, defeated World champion Italy 10-8 in the bronze match (3-4, 2-1, 4-1, 1-2).
Olympic host Japan defeated Kazakhstan for fifth place and Asian supremacy, closing with a 7-1 quarter for the 17-10 victory. It was tight for the first three quarters but Kazakhstan could not withstand the Japanese speed and superior stamina.
France took out 7th position with a smooth performance against host Georgia — 10-5 (3-1, 3-1, 2-1, 2-2).
Results and stats are available here.
1. Montenegro ; 2. USA ; 3. Greece ; 4. Italy ; 5. Japan ; 6. Kazakhstan ; 7 France. ; 8. Georgia
Detailed game reports are available on FINA website, while photos and videos are available on FINA social media.
Serbia had won the 2019 World League Super Final, while Croatia and Australia came second and third for silver and bronze respectively.
While the Super Final 2020 was not a qualifying event, the Tokyo 2020 Olympic tournament is composed of the following teams:
- Serbia – FINA Men’s Water Polo World League 2019 gold medallist
- Italy – 18th FINA World Championships Gwangju 2019 gold medallist
- Spain – 18th FINA World Championships Gwangju 2019 silver medallist
- USA – Americas quota
- Australia – Oceania quota
- Hungary – Europe quota
- South Africa – Africa quota
- Kazakhstan – Asia quota
- Japan – Olympic Games host
- Montenegro – FINA Men’s Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020 gold medallist
- Greece – FINA Men’s Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020 silver medallist
- Croatia – FINA Men’s Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020 bronze medallist