2017 LINCOLN SECTIONALS
After Jordan Ehly and Nebrska stole the headlines on day 1 of the Lincoln Sectionals, the University of Missouri rolled through night 2 by winning 7 of the 8 individual events.
The most dominant of those victories came in the women’s 100 breaststroke, where post-grad Katharine Ross swam a 1:10.39 to win by almost 3 seconds over the aforementioned Ehly (1:13.09).
Her teammate Sharli Brady won by a similar margin in the women’s 200 fly, touching in 2:13.50. The runner-up in that race was 14-year old Kate McCarville from Springfield Aquatics, who swam a 2:17.34. That ranks her 10th among all 14-year olds nationally in the event this season.
The lone non-Missouri swimmer (and only junior) to win an individual race was 17-year old Liberty Howell, who took the women’s 400 free in 4:23.50.
Other Day 1 Winners:
- Jacob Wielinski won the men’s 400 free in 4:06.77. He was able to hold off a big 29.3 closing kick from Jackson Allmon of Council Bluffs – who took 2nd in 4:07.13.
- Missouri’s Caleb Hicks won the men’s 100 breaststroke in 1:04.23, beating out Jordan O’Brien, who took 2nd in 1:05.29.
- Giovanni Gutierrez Lozano, a redshirt freshman this upcoming season from Peru, won the men’s 200 fly in 2:04.60.
- Samantha Wilts took top honors in the women’s 100 backstroke, finishing in 1:03.72. She out-raced a quartet of Nebraska Cornhuskers who finished 2nd-through-5th in the race, led by Lindsay Helferich‘s 1:04.02.
- Nick Alexander wrapped the day’s individual events with a 57.95 in the 100 backstroke.
- Nebraska (Club Huskers) won the women’s 800 free relay in 8:40.38. That included a 2:07.16 leadoff from Kaylyn Flatt.
- The Arkansas Dolphins, whose relay included a 15 year old, 16 year old, 17 year old, and 19 year old, won the men’s 800 free relay in 8:08.48.
Team Scores After Day 3
Men’s Top 5:
- Empire KC Swim Club – 805
- River City Aquatics – 578
- University of Missouri – 424
- Arkansas Dolphins Swim Team – 423
- Greater Omaha Aquatics – 322
Women’s Top 5:
- Club Huskers – 1161.5
- Lincoln Select Swimming – 502
- Greater Nebraska Swim Team – 468
- Splash Club, Inc. – 437
- Arkansas Dolphins Swim Team – 400.5