Arkansas swimming travels to Atlanta for a mid-season tune up at the Georgia Tech Invitational in the GT Aquatic Center, Nov. 20-22. Competition begins Thursday at 10 a.m. with the 200-yard freestyle relay.
The Razorbacks (3-1) enter the invite riding a dominating 190-106 win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers on Nov. 8 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Arkansas collected 14 of 16 wins and the Razorbacks’ 200 medley relay of Anna Mayfield, Nikki Daniels, Susanna White and Nina Drolc touched the wall first in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:42.90, downing the Devaney Natatorium’s previous pool record of 1:43.03 that was set in 1983 by Stanford.
Junior Rachel Stoehr captured two event wins on the day in the 1000 freestyle (10:18.65) and 500 freestyle (5:02.28). Daniels also tacked on two individual wins in the 100 and 200 breaststroke with times of 1:02.53 and 2:17.96, respectively. Chloe Hannam rounded out the competition with two event wins in the 200 freestyle (1:52.89) and 200 backstroke (2:00.77). Swimming the rest of the first-place finishes was Mayfield (55.50, 100 backstroke), Caitlin Sheridan (2:03.86, 200 butterfly), Maddie Monroe (51.87, 100 freestyle), White (56.68, 100 butterfly) and Chelsea Tatlow (4:24.95, 400 IM).
The Razorbacks 200 freestyle relay team of White, Drolc, Mayfield and Monroe registered a first-place finish over Nebraska with a time of 1:34.94.
The invitational marks Arkansas’ first multi-team event of the year and invitational after dual meets against No. 16 Florida, No. 1 Texas A&M and Nebraska. The Razorbacks will have an opportunity to compete against swimmers from Georgia Tech, No. 16 Florida, Vanderbilt, Bowling Green, Campbell, Colorado State, Indian River, Florida Atlantic, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida State and Miami.
· The Razorbacks boast seven top-50 times in the nation, led by junior Anna Mayfield with four national top-50 rankings. The San Antonio native ranks No. 24 in in the 500 freestyle (4:49.42), No. 30 in the 200 freestyle (1:48.93), No. 43 in the 100 backstroke (55.10) and No. 34 in the 200 backstroke (1:58.76).
· Senior Nikki Daniels holds two top-50 national times, checking in at No. 15 in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.63) and No. 33 in the 200 breaststroke (2:15.87).
· Junior Nina Drolc holds the No. 38 national spot in the 50 freestyle with a time of 23.16.
· Between seven Razorbacks, Arkansas holds 12 top-20 Southeastern Conference times.
· In the SEC, Anna Mayfield holds the No. 6 time in the 500 freestyle (4:49.42), No. 9 200 freestyle (1:48.93), No. 13 100 backstroke (55.10) and No. 13 200 backstroke (1:58.76).
· Nikki Daniels’ 100 breaststroke time of 1:01.63 is good for No. 5 in the league.
Arkansas women’s swimming and diving will migrate south to Florida for its annual training week. Swimming will spend Dec. 29- Jan.4 in Del Ray Beach, Florida and diving will train in Miami, Jan. 1-7.
College Swimming News courtesy of the University of Arkansas.