Liberty at Saint Francis (Pa.)
- Loretta, Pa.
- Oct. 5, 2019
- Liberty 152-109
Courtesy: Liberty Athletics
Liberty wrapped up its season-opening trip to Pennsylvania with a 152-109 victory over Saint Francis (Pa.) at Stokes Natatorium on Saturday.
The Lady Flames, who went 1-1 at yesterday’s Penn State Sprint Fest, improve to 2-1 on the season, while SFU opened its season with a loss today.
• Jr. Arielle Arnett – 500 freestyle (5:14.62); 1000 freestyle (10:48.23)
• Sr. Hannah Baker – 200 freestyle (1:54.72)
• So. Shelby Haines – 100 back (59.40)
• R-Jr. Mikayla Herich – 200 butterfly (2:08.75)
• Fr. Eva Suggs – 100 freestyle (52.16)
• Jr. Payton Keiner – 200 backstroke (2:00.73)
• Fr. Jessica Schellenboom – 200 breaststroke (2:25.99)
• Liberty is 25-1 in its last 26 dual meets. The Lady Flames saw a 24-meet winning streak end yesterday at Penn State.
• Liberty won eight individual events and both relays, while the Red Flash posted four individual-event victories.
• Arielle Arnett earned two individual-event victories (500 free and 1000 free), the first time in her Liberty career that she has won multiple events in the same meet.
• Sophomore Shelby Haines (100 back) and freshmen Jessica Schellenboom (200 breast) and Eva Suggs (100 free) all posted their first career event wins.
• Liberty went 1-2 in the 200 free (Hannah Baker, Cailin Carroll), 200 fly (Mikayla Herich, Kiah Francis), 200 back (Payton Keiner, Emma Hazel), 200 breast (Jessica Schellenboom, Chloe Rippey) and 200 free relay.
• Liberty is now 3-1 all-time in meets held in Pennsylvania and 1-0 against SFU in swimming & diving.
• This trip has been an historic one, as the Lady Flames earned their 100th victory in program history yesterday against St. Bonaventure. Liberty holds a 101-31 all-time record in swimming & diving.
Liberty’s swimming & diving squad will split up next weekend, as the swimmers will take on Campbell on Friday in Buies Creek, N.C., and the divers will contest a tri-meet at UNCW in Wilmington, N.C. on Saturday.
Courtesy: St. Francis (Pa.) Athletics
Loretto, Pa. – The Saint Francis swim team hosted Liberty in its 2019-20 season opener, falling to the defending Big South champion Flames 152-109 despite many noteworthy individual performances from Red Flash swimmers.
The Red Flash finished 1-2 in the 100-Yard backstroke as senior Erin O’Neill (Lansdale, Pa./North Penn) won the event with a time of 1:08.48 followed by junior Katelyn O’Connor (Torrance, Calif./South High) at 1:08.97.
Other SFU winners were sophomore Annabelle McCullough (Mercersburg, PA./James Buchanan High School), who won the 50-Yard Freestyle with a time of 24.99, and senior Sabrina Bowman (Vandergrift, Pa./Saint Joseph’s) in the 100-Yard Butterfly at 57.70. McCullough finished second in the event at 58.87.
Senior Karilyn Quon (Tempe, Ariz./Corona del Sol) notched a victory in the 200-Yard IM, winning the event with a time of 2:10.19.
Freshman Shauna Abair (Lantana, Fl/Home School) had an impressive debut with second-place finishes in the 500-Yard (5:14.87) and 1000-Yard Freestyle (10:54.77) events. Fellow freshman Zoey Wilson (Irwin, Pa./Hempfield Area) was SFU’s low finisher in the 200-Yard Freestyle, finishing third with a mark of 2:01.00.
Sophomore Amelia Laudenbach (Kambah, Australia/Trinity Christian School) earned four team points in the 100-Yard Backstroke, placing second with a time of 1:00.18. Junior Urska Medvesek (Maribor, Slovenia/Gymnasium Maribor) was right behind her with a time of 1:00.48 to touch the wall in third.
Junior Jessica Rupp (Cincinnati, Ohio/Turpin) finished third in the 200-Yard Butterfly with a time of 2:15.30 while sophomore Chloe Clemens (Chesterfield, Va./Cosby High School) placed third in the 50-Yard Freestyle (25.51).
Bowman and Wilson took second and third in the 100-Yard Freestyle to combine for seven points in the event.
Quon was SFU’s top scorer in the 200-Yard Backstroke, finishing third at 2:07.72, while O’Connor’s time of 2:31.96 was good for third place in the 200-Yard Breaststroke.
The 200-Yard Medley Team of Medvesek, O’Neill, Bowman and Quon earned second place with a mark of 1:49.08, while the 200-Yard Freestyle Team of senior Kristen Toth (Silver Spring, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti), sophomore Julia Bradford (Edinboro, Pa./Villa Maria Academy), Clemens and sophomore Rebecca Pendleton (Maple Glen, PA/Upper Dublin High Schhol) finished third.
Saint Francis recognized its eight senior before the meet in Meghan Albertelli (Johnstown, Pa./Westmont Hilltop), Emily Anderson (Middlesburg Heights, Ohio/Berea-Midpark), Bowman, Emily Graziano (Jeannette, Pa./Penn Trafford), Teresa Narduzzi (West Orange, N.J./West Orange), O’Neill, Quon and Toth.
The Red Flash return to action next weekend at NJIT.