On the final day of the South American Games in Santiago Chilean Kristel Kobrich put up a world’s best winning the women’s 1500 freestyle in a championship record time of 16:15.89.
Last weekend Mireia Belmonte recorded a 16:22.79 in Marseille, which was the top ranked time in the world until Kobrich hit the pool this evening. Kobrich is well off her lifetime best and Chilean national record of 15:54.30 which she posted at the World Championships last summer.
17 year old Matheus Santana of Brazil also had an impressive showing in the men’s 100 freestyle winning the event in a championship record time of 49.13. His time ranks him eighth in the world.
At this point in his training the young Brazilian is not fully rested, which makes this race even more outstanding as he beat his lifetime best of 49.21, which he posted at the Senior/Open Brazilian Championships in December.
Venezuelan Albert Subirats, who finished third in the individual 100 freestyle posting a time of 49.72, had an exceptional swim as part of his country’s 4 x 100 freestyle relay, splitting a time of 48.27.
Once again there was a new championship record set in every event on the day.
Brazil topped the medal standing winning the battle in the pool with 37 total medals (18 gold, 6 silver and 13 bronze). Venezuela finished second with 22 medals (7 gold, 6 silver and 9 bronze) while Argentina finished in third with 20 medals (5 gold, 11 silver and 4 bronze).
Medalists on the day included:
50 freestyle women:
- Graciele Hermann(BRA)- 25:26 CR
- Alessandra Marchioro(BRA)- 25:43
- Chinyere Pigot(SUR)- 26:05
1500 freestyle women:
- Kristel Kobrich (CHI) 16:15:89 CR
- Samantha Arevallos (ECU) 16:38:05
- Cecilia Biagioli (ARG) 16:38:54
200 breaststroke men:
- Henrique Barbosa(BRA) 2:15:42CR
- Tales Cerdeira(BRA) 2:16:68
- Carlos Claverie (VEN) 2:17:02
100 backstroke women:
- Carolina Colorado (COL)1:02:56
- Etiene Medeiros(BRA) 1:02:89
- Natália de Luccas(BRA) 1:02:92
100 freestyle men:
- Matheus Santana(BRA) 49:13CR
- Federico Grabich(ARG) 49:66
- Albert Subirats(VEN) 49:72
100 breaststroke women:
- Julia Sebastian (ARG) 1:10:40
- Macarena Ceballos (ARG) 1:11:00
- Mercedes Toledo (VEN) 1:11:56
400 Individual Medley men:
- Thiago Pereira(BRA) 4:23:15CR
- Esteban Enderica (ECU) 4:27:86
- Thiago Simon(BRA) 4:25:30
4 x 100 Medley relay women:
- Brazil 4:11:49CR
- Argentina 4:12:17
- Colombia 4:15:39
4 x 100 freestyle relay men:
- Brazil- 3:19:44CR
- Argentina- 3:21:31 National Record
- Venezuela- 3:21:48
Full results can be found here