2021 RUSSIAN NATIONAL SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- April 3-9, 2021
- Palace of Water Sports, Kazan, Russia
- Prelims: 9:00 am local/2:00 am Eastern, Finals: 6:00 pm local/11:00 am Eastern
- LCM (50m)
- Russian Olympic Qualification Procedures
- Meet Central
- Start Lists/Results
- Live Stream (YouTube channel)
Kliment Kolesnikov took down a star-studded field in the men’s 100 freestyle final on Day 5 of the 2021 Russian Olympic Trials, lowering the National Record in a time of 47.31.
Facing (now former) Russian Record holder Vladislav Grinev, (now former) world #1 Andrei Minakov and Vladimir Morozov, Kolesnikov led the heat from the get-go, out in 22.55 before blazing home in 24.76.
Kolesnikov’s swim breaks the previous Russian mark of 47.43, set by Grinev in 2019, and makes him the 10th-fastest performer of all-time.
Kolesnikov is also now the fifth-fastest swimmer in a textile suit.
All-Time Performers, Men’s 100 Freestyle (LCM)
- Cesar Cielo (BRA), 46.91 – 2009
- Alain Bernard (FRA), 46.94 – 2009
- Caeleb Dressel (USA), 46.96 – 2019
- Cameron McEvoy (AUS), 47.04 – 2016
- Eamon Sullivan (AUS), 47.05 – 2008
- Kyle Chalmers (AUS), 47.08 – 2019
- James Magnussen (AUS), 47.10 – 2012
- Frederick Bousquet (FRA), 47.15 – 2009
- Brent Hayden (CAN), 47.27 – 2009
- Kliment Kolesnikov (RUS), 47.31 – 2021
The 20-year-old entered the competition with a best time of 48.04, set back in 2018, and lowered that in all three rounds here in Kazan. Kolesnikov clocked 47.70 in the heats and 47.60 in the semis before dropping his 47.31 in the final.
In doing so, he also takes over the top spot in the world this season, moving past Minakov, who went 47.57 in October.
Minakov edged out Grinev in the battle for silver, 47.77 to 47.89, while Morozov took fourth in 48.18. The Russian 400 free relay is shaping up to be a formidable one in Tokyo.
It’s also important to note that Kolesnikov scratched out of another one of his best events, the 200 back, in order to fully focus on the 100 free on Wednesday. If he had raced the 200 back, he would’ve only had about 30 minutes of rest prior to the 100 free final.