Courtesy: Indiana State Athletics
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Indiana State Women’s Swimming and Diving program will travel to Cleveland, Ohio this weekend to compete at the Magnus Cup, hosted by Cleveland State.
About the Magnus Cup
Competing alongside the Sycamores in Cleveland this weekend will be 15 other teams, including Akron, Buffalo, California (Pa.),Cleveland State, University of the Cumberlands, Delaware, Duquesne, Fairmont State, Indiana (Pa.), Saint Francis (Pa.), Simon Fraser, Soka University, Xavier, West Virginia Tech and Youngstown State.
The Magnus Cup will feature all traditional events, as well as four non-traditional events (50-yard butterfly, 50-yard backstroke, 50-yard breaststroke and 100-yard individual medley).
The top-40 swimmers will advance into A, B, C and D finals on the women’s side, but only the top-20 athletes in each event will score. Preliminary events will begin at 9 a.m. ET and finals will begin at 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, while Sunday’s finals will begin at 3 p.m.
Coach Christensen’s Corner
“We’re excited for the Magnus Cup,” Head Coach Josh Christensen said. “We’ve had a great fall of training and racing, and this will be an opportunity for us to compete in a competition that closely replicates what we’ll be doing at the conference championship meet. It’s a check point and we’ll use the experiences we have here to inform our training and preparation for the second half of the season.”
- The Sycamores enter Saturday’s contest with a record of 9-0, the best start in school history after claiming wins over Evansville and Valparaiso two weeks ago.
- Indiana State won 15/16 events two weeks ago in their double-dual meet with Evansville and Valparaiso.
- Vivian Kritikou broke her own school-record in the 1000-yard freestyle last time out, clocking a time of 10:08.74, which is 12 seconds better than the previous school-record. She owns the best time in the Valley.
- Megan Schade still has the top-time in the Missouri Valley Conference in the 50-yard breaststroke from the dual meet against Illinois where she recorded a time of 30.54.
- Joelle Borchers sits atop the MVC in the 50-yard butterfly, also from the dual meet against Illinois, with a time of 26.23.
- The 200-yard freestyle relay team of Alex Malmborg, Martina Marks, Marlene Pavlu Lewin and Joelle Borchers recorded the fastest time in the MVC against Xavier with a time of 1:36.92.
- During their last time out, ISU defeated Evansville by a score of 189.50-72.50 and Valparaiso, 219-41