With two weeks to go before the Colorado boys’ 4A (small school) and 5A (big school) swimming & diving state championship meets, the penultimate edition of the Colorado High School rankings are out.
After Regis Jesuit made a surprising leap in the last rankings ahead of three-time defending champions Fossil Ridge, Fossil Ridge took a narrow 3-point lead in the latest edition. While neither team put up any particularly earth-shaking new results, lots of other times around the state caused enough movement to shift the places at the top.
In Class 4A, Discovery Canyon held on to the #1 ranking for the third week in a row, after having been in 4th place the week before. Discovery Canyon junior Braden Whitmarsh swam a 4:49.44 to jump to 3rd in the 4A rankings in the 500 free.
4A Top 5 (May 7th rankings)
- Discovery Canyon – 251
- Windsor – 217
- Golden – 194
- Mullen – 192
- Cheyenne Mountain – 177
5A Top 5 (May 7th rankings)
- Fossil Ridge – 247
- Regis Jesuit – 244
- Cherry Creek – 199
- Ponderosa – 178
- Arapahoe – 154
Per the rankings’ administrator, Rob Nasser:
- A team scores points just like a championship meet by placing an athlete or relay in the top 16 and points are awarded in that fashion.
- Adjustments have been made that account for athletes ranked in more than 2 individual events so that the scores are not skewed from one athlete/school.
- The main reason for this is to hopefully generate more publicity for all the kids who have worked so hard for it and swimming and diving in general.
- This is geared more for prediction of how the state championship meets will turn out, rather than how a dual meet against two teams will fare.
- Times/scores have been pulled in only from data submitted to MaxPreps. If you do not see times in there that should be, then you most likely did not submit them. This should help to motivate people/coaches to submit them in a timely manner. (Hint: Submit your meets to MaxPreps ASAP)
- An exhaustive listing of all submitted times is located at MaxPreps.com.