The Discovery Canyon boys have become the first team this season to successfully hang on to the #1 ranking in Colorado Boys’ 4A High School Swimming two weeks in a row, while Regis Jesuit holds on to a narrow lead in 5A in the latest Colorado High School rankings.
Discovery Canyon was in 4th in the April 11th rankings, by last week they had jumped 50 points ahead of the rest of the class, and while Windsor High jumped into 2nd place and closed that gap this week, Discovery Canyon is still projected with a 39-point cushion.
A surge from their young swimmers, including sophomore Tommy Rauchut (4th in the 50 free/22.09 and 100 free/48.18); and freshman Andrew McGill (4th in the 100 back/54.83) are complementing a group of veterans including senior diver Brendan Byrnes to take over the top of the class.
In 5A, whereas the three-time defending champions Fossil Ridge looked dominant early in the year, Regis Jesuit has overtaken them for the #1 ranking in the last two weeks. Regis’ climb has been buoyed by some good swims of late from Xavier commit Elliot Steinberg, who swam a 1:44.34 last week that jumps him to 7th in the 2018 rankings.
4A Top 5 (April 25th rankings)
- Discovery Canyon – 262
- Windsor – 223
- Mullen – 209
- Golden – 200
- Cheyenne Mountain – 174
5A Top 5 (April 25th rankings)
- Regis Jesuit – 273
- Fossil Ridge – 259
- Cherry Creek – 168
- Ponderosa – 167
- Arapahoe – 156
Per the rankings’ administrator, Rob Nasser:
- A team scores points just like a championship meet by placing an athlete or relay in the top 16 and points are awarded in that fashion.
- Adjustments have been made that account for athletes ranked in more than 2 individual events so that the scores are not skewed from one athlete/school.
- The main reason for this is to hopefully generate more publicity for all the kids who have worked so hard for it and swimming and diving in general.
- This is geared more for prediction of how the state championship meets will turn out, rather than how a dual meet against two teams will fare.
- Times/scores have been pulled in only from data submitted to MaxPreps. If you do not see times in there that should be, then you most likely did not submit them. This should help to motivate people/coaches to submit them in a timely manner. (Hint: Submit your meets to MaxPreps ASAP)
- An exhaustive listing of all submitted times is located at MaxPreps.com.