Learning to swim takes time and patience. Many parents are eager to know how long it will take for their children to become proficient in the water. While the answer to that question varies from child to child, what we do know is that the more you practice, the quicker the results. Even if you don’t have a pool, practicing outside of your scheduled lessons is the key to retaining knowledge and increasing your skills. For our youngest swimmers, practicing in the bathtub and on land can help reinforce what they are learning with their instructor.
HERE ARE A FEW IDEAS TO GET YOU STARTED:
- Practice getting your child’s face wet (first by pouring water over the head and then slowly by submersion).
- Have your child slowly begin to practice holding breath for longer periods of time. Make it a game and try to make each other laugh with silly faces or use a timer and try to break a family record.
- Practice blowing bubbles in the bathtub or in a cup.
- Have your child dip one ear in the water at a time.
- Practice stretching out and laying on the back while looking at the ceiling. (A great song to sing during this exercise is Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and have them look for pretend stars in the sky.)
- Use bath toys to help him/her enjoy the tub. Practice reaching and grabbing for toys and use the toys to mimic what…
FRANCHISE OVERVIEW: A swim school with over a decade of proven success with more than five million swimming lessons taught. SafeSplash’s focus is providing excellence and unexpected value to our franchisees and customers.
MISSION: Learning to swim is a defining experience in a child’s life, an experience that creates lasting memories similar to learning to ride a bike. But unlike riding a bike, swimming is important to your child’s safety and development. At SafeSplash, we understand…swimming is a life skill®. Our mission is to provide the best possible experience, instructors, curriculum, and environment to the families that we have the honor of serving. We offer a positive, fun experience to our students with the goal of helping them become a safe, happy, confident, lifelong swimmers.
SafeSplash is a part of the Streamline Brands Family
Swim Training courtesy of Streamline Brands, a SwimSwam Partner.