When we announced the host site of the 2017 FINA World Junior Championships last month, the actual dates of the event were not yet known. However, now the timing of the biennial international meet have been revealed, per the dates listed on the FINA calendar.
As announced in September, the newly-refurbished IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis, Indiana was named as host of the 2017 FINA World Junior Championships, marking the first time the United States has ever hosted either the senior or junior World Champioships. The meet is set to take place August 23rd – August 28th, per FINA.
The United States was one of two countries willing to host the meet on short notice (along with Russia) after a chain of dominoes forced FINA to scramble. Budapest, Hungary was originally scheduled to host the 2017 Junior World Championships, but they were forced to step in and host the 2017 FINA World Aquatics Championships when Mexico pulled out of those duties for financial reasons.
Not wanting to host the Junior World Championships and the World Aquatics Championships in the same city in the same year, Budapest’s hosting of the World Junior Championships was bushed to 2019.
Below is a quick hit list of several 2017 major meets:
- January 13th – 15th – Arena Pro Swim Series at Austin
- March 2nd – 4th – Arena Pro Swim Series at Indianapolis
- April 13th – 15th – Arena Pro Swim Series at Mesa
- May 4th – 7th – Arena Pro Swim Series at Atlanta
- June 1st – 4th – Arena Pro Swim Series at Santa Clara
- June 27th – July 1st – U.S. National Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- July 14th – 30th – FINA World Aquatics Championships, Budapest, Hungary
- August 23rd – 28th – FINA World Junior Swimming Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- December 13th – 17th – LEN European Short Course Championships