The college pool swimming season begins tonight with Alabama-Delta State, but another college season staple is tomorrow morning: the CSCAA Open Water Championship.
The College Swimming & Diving Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) is running the fourth annual edition of the open water event, which will feature 29 schools for a 5K swim. Kansas University hosts the event in Lone Star Lake in Lawrence, Kansas. A press release from Kansas says the event will feature 134 athletes: 80 women and 54 men.
Here’s a quick look at some of the meet information, from the Kansas site and the CSCAA meet page.
- 7:30-8:15 a.m. – Women’s Check-in
- 8:15 a.m. – Women’s Pre-Race Briefing
- 8:25 a.m. – Women’s Inspection and Roll Call
- 8:30 a.m. – Women’s 5K Start
- 9:30-10:15 a.m. – Men’s Check-in
- 10:15 a.m. – Men’s Pre-Race Briefing
- 10:25 a.m. – Men’s Inspection and Roll Call
- 10:30 a.m. – Men’s 5K Start
- Noon – Women’s and Men’s Awards
The event will use cross country scoring to determine team champions, with the top 3 finishers from each team determining the score. First place earns 1 point, second place 2, third place 3, etc. The team with the lowest points among their top three athletes wins.