2019 Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference State Open Championships
- Thursday, November 21st, 2019 – Diving
- Middletown High School – Middletown, CT
- Sunday, November 24th, 2019 – Swimming
- Kiphuth Exhibition Pool – Yale University – New Haven, CT
- SCY, prelims/finals, 8 lane – Top 24 final
- Meet Results
- Team Scores
The Cheshire High School Girls swimming and diving team took the 2019 CIAC State Open title after placing runner up in the 2017 and 2018 seasons. Cheshire defeated former champions Greenwich High School by only 8 points for the win.
Double winners of the meet included Cheshire senior Julia Stevens and Junior at Cheshire, Sophia Murphy. Stevens placed first in the 200 freestyle (1:51.97) and 500 freestyle (4:59.55) while Murphy won the 50 freestyle (23.68) and the 100 freestyle (51.08).
Hannah Seward, junior at Ridgefield, won the 100 butterfly in a time of 55.50 and also placed 3rd in the 100 freestyle (52.26). Senior at Staples, Esme Hunter competed in both the 100 backstroke (56.16) and 50 freestyle (23.85), placing first and second respectively.
Lauren Walsh, sophomore at Trumbull, earned gold in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.96) and was the only swimmer in the field to break the 1:02 threshold. Walsh’s time earned her the State Open record of 1:02.56 set in 2016. Walsh was also the runner-up in the 200 IM (2:01.82).
Greenwich junior, Meghan Lynch, won the 200 IM (1:59.50) where she broke her own State Open record she set last year of 1:59.57. Lynch also placed 2nd in the 100 breaststroke with the time of 1:02.74.
Regina Frias, senior at Greenwich, won the 1 meter diving event with a score of 504.25 just beating out senior at Weston, Elisabeth Katz who scored 503.15.
The Greenwich girls out-touched Cheshire in the final event of the meet to win the 400 freestyle relay in a time of 3:32.14. The relay was made up of freshman Victoria Liu, sophomore Caterina Li, Lynch, and senior Jenna Handali.
Other Event Winners
- Greenwich High’s 200 medley relay won in a time of 1:45.99 thanks to junior Samantha Ennis, Lynch, Li, and Handali.
- The quartet from Darien High made up of senior Lexi Punishill, freshmen Lily Bradbury and Natalia Ferranto, and junior Kendall Luecke placed 1st in the 200 freestyle relay by .08 seconds with a time of 1:36.72.
Top 5 Team Scores
- Cheshire – 428
- Greenwich – 420
- Staples – 326
- Darien – 323.5
- Weston – 284