Courtesy: Hannah Moore
This pasta is perfect for any weeknight dinner. It is SO EASY. One thing that makes it even easier is using the instant pot to cook the pasta, if you have one. Pressure cooking noodles requires zero attention, and it’s one of my hacks for busy nights.
It’s the perfect comfort food, but healthy! Creamy, tangy, nutritious. This goes well with some leafy greens, which help slow the digestion of a carb-heavy meal! I also paired it with some seasoned butternut squash. Play around with the things you serve it with!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 package of chickpea pasta (or pasta of choice!)
- 1 can of tomato paste (be sure to buy a BPA-free can, as the acidity of tomato can cause this to leach into the paste)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of himalayan sea salt
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (or cream)
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces of feta cheese (optional)
How to do it:
- Cook the pasta according to package directions
- Saute the shallot, garlic and onion in the olive oil until translucent
- Add the tomato paste and stir
- Then, add the sea salt, almond milk (or cream), feta cheese, and red pepper flakes. Stir until the sauce is thickened
- Turn off heat and cover for a few minutes to let the sauce thicken up
- Combine the sauce and the cooked pasta in a large bowl and MIX!
- Tomato paste = high in lycopene. This is an antioxidant that is linked to protection of the heart and has anti-cancer properties. It has also been shown to reduce inflammation in the skin and promote good skin health!
- Garlic = an immune-boosting superfood! Has been studied as immunoprotective – which is great for athletes who do NOT want to be out of the pool for anything! It is also anti-inflammatory, helping muscles, joints, and skin. Additionally, garlic is antimicrobial and antifungal – so it’s great for clearing out any bad bacteria you might have come across.