LIU Post at Stony Brook
- Stony Brook def. LIU Post 124-109
- Nov. 17, 2018
Courtesy: Stony Brook Athletics
STONY BROOK, N.Y. – The Stony Brook women’s swimming and diving team claimed two victories en route to a memorable win at University Pool on Saturday afternoon.
The 124-109 decision marked the first win for the program since the team was reinstated last year following five years of renovations to the home pool. It was also the first victory for Kerry Smith as a head coach.
- The team’s first win of the day came from Jess Salmon (Rexford, N.Y.)in the 200-yard butterfly. She touched the wall in 2:15.10 and Kylie Danin (West Islip, N.Y.) was behind her in second (2:18.19).
- The Seawolves’ other victory came from the final event of the meet, the 400-yard freestyle relay. The relay team of Gabrielle Matiszik (Milwaukee, Wisc.), Haille Bogumil (Bradenton, Fla.), Michelle Wootton (Oakdale, N.Y.) and Danin finished in 3:43.59, defeating the second place LIU Post relay squad by more than 15 seconds.
- On the three-meter diving board, Stephanie Reiter (Howard Beach, N.Y.) was first with a total score of 173.00. Noelle Perrone (Merrick, N.Y.) was second (168.85) and Valerie Reiter (Howard, Beach, N.Y.)placed third (129.05).
- Stephanie Reiter also won the one-meter with a tally of 180.00 points. Valerie Reiter was behind her in second (163.45) and Perrone was third (153.20).
The Seawolves visit St. Francis Brooklyn tomorrow at the St. Francis Aquatics Center. Action is set to begin at 1 p.m.
Courtesy: LIU Post Athletics
STONY BROOK, N.Y. – The LIU Post women’s swimming team had a stellar day at the University Pool on the campus of Stony Brook University Saturday, finishing with more swimming points 109-92 and winning nine of the 11 swimming events against the NCAA Division I Seawolves.
Stony Brook 124 def. LIU Post 109
LIU Post finished first in the 200-yard medley relay after the team of seniors Karis Fuller, Caitlin Johnstone and Tove Sparrman along with junior Jessica Argelander posted a time of 1:49.27 seconds.
In the 400 freestyle relay the quartet of sophomore Jonna Pyros, freshman Lauren Beyer and sophomores Corina Reed and Emily Shoup clocked in at 3:58.47 seconds to finish second.
Top Individual Performers
Along with leading off the 200 medley relay, Fuller finished first in the 200 IM after touching the wall at 2:10.83 seconds and the 200 backstroke in 2:04.80 seconds.
Johnstone also earned a pair of wins; her times of 24.53 in the 50 freestyle and 2:24.80 seconds in the 200 breaststroke saw her finish first.
Sparrman won the 200 freestyle in 1:59.85 seconds and the 500 freestyle in 5:21.66 seconds. Shoup and Argelander also won events for LIU Post as Shoup’s mark of 11:18.54 seconds in the 1000 freestyle and Argelander’s 54.03 in the 100 freestyle had them touching the wall first. Argelander also finished third in the 50 freestyle in 25.38.
Freshman Elissa Roose finished third in the 200 butterfly in 2:23.63 seconds and freshman Ashley Pereira finished third in the 100 freestyle in 57.41.
LIU Post Event Winners
- 200 medley relay: Karis Fuller, Caitlin Johnstone, Tove Sparrman, Jessica Argleander – 1:49.27
- 1000 freestyle: Emily Shoup – 11:18.54
- 200 freestyle: Tove Sparrman – 1:59.85
- 50 freestyle: Caitlin Johnstone – 24.53
- 200 IM: Karis Fuller – 2:10.83
- 100 freestyle: Jessica Argelander – 54:03
- 200 backstroke: Karis Fuller – 2:04.80
- 500 freestyle: Tove Sparrman – 5:21.66
- 200 breaststroke: Caitlin Johnstone – 2:24.80
On Saturday, Nov. 17 LIU Post travels to Stony Brook, New York, for a dual meet against Stony Brook University at 11:00 a.m.