2019 DII Louisiana Championship
- November 22nd-23rd, 2019
- SPAR Aquatic Center – Sulphur, LA
- SCY, prelims/finals, 8 lane – Top 16 final
- Meet Results
- Team Scores
The Saint Scholastica Swim Team dominated the meet with a win at the LHSAA DII Championships by over 170 points. The team has been on top of the division since 2014.
Senior at Saint Scholastica Gabriella O’Neil was a double winner of the meet in both the 200 and 500 freestyle. She set a new DII record in the 200 freestyle (1:53.42) shaving time off her previous record of 1:53.74. In the 500 freestyle, O’Neil clocked a 5:11.61 for the win.
Another double winner was Evelyn Zhang of Caddo Magnet. Zhang sprinted to a first place finish in the 50 freestyle (24.24), winning by over a second and touching just shy of the DII record of 24.16. She also won the 100 backstroke in a time of 58.27, the only swimmer under the 60 second barrier.
Claudia Oggs, junior at Saint Scholastica, won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:11.56, about 4.5 seconds faster than 2nd place finisher.
Saint Scholastica took gold in both the 200 freestyle and 400 freestyle relays. The team of senior Hope Robinson, senior Luci McCaleb, junior Frances Barousse, and O’Neil earned a 1:43.85 in the 200 freestyle relay while the team of O’Neil, junior Olivia Tess, Robinson, and Barousse clocked a 3:48.45 in the 400 freestyle relay.
Other Event Winners
- Senior Hannah Richard of St. Thomas More clocked a 2:19.78 in the 200 IM.
- Junior Sophie Weiner of Caddo Magnet won the 100 freestyle by over 3 seconds with a 54.47.
- Ella Balhoff, a senior at St. Thomas More, was the only swimmer to break the 1-minute threshold in the 100 fly, clocking at 59.80.
- Caddo Magnet’s 200 medley relay of Zhang, freshman Hannah Waddell, Weiner, and senior Zoe Walker swam a 1:56.14.
TOP 5 TEAM SCORES
- Saint Scholastica Swim Team – 455.50
- St. Thomas More – 284
- Academy of the Sacred Heart – 191
- Caddo Magnet High School – 189
- Benjamin Franklin High School – 186
The Holy Cross Tigers took home the 2019 DII Championship for the 2nd year in a row, scoring 362 points, which was 113 points more than 2nd pace Ruston High School.
Three swimmers earned double winner status: Holy Cross junior Carson Doll, Lee Magnet junior Riley Brown, and Lakeshore High junior Jacob Price.
Doll earned gold in both the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:45.26 and the 500 freestyle (4:48.05). Brown finished first in the 200 IM (1:55.32) and the 100 backstroke (52.31) while Price sprinted to gold in the 50 freestyle (21.61) and in the 100 freestyle (47.80).
Maximilien Caffery, junior at Holy Cross, clocked a 52.61 in the 100 butterfly, earning 1st place by over 1 second. Caffery also took silver in the 100 backstroke with a 54.99 while Ruston High senior Thomas Smith clocked first place in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.00).
Ruston High’s 200 Medley Relay of senior Galen Turner, Smith, senior Christian Payne, and sophomore Hilton Smith raced to a 1:41.51 first place finish, touching a little under 3 seconds faster than 2nd place Lakeshore High.
Other Event Winners
- Patrick F. Taylor’s 200 freestyle relay of junior Christian Craig, sophomore Caden Guidry, sophomore Todd Lillie, and junior Jack Henderson finished in a time of 1:33.97 earning 40 points for their team.
- The Holy Cross 400 freestyle relay team of Doll, junior Jonah Munch, senior Casey Miller, and Caffery swam to a 3:18.13, over 15 seconds faster than 2nd place Ruston High.
TOP 5 TEAM SCORES
- Holy Cross Tigers – 362
- Ruston High School – 249
- Lakeshore High – 208
- Patrick F. Taylor High School – 193
- South Lafourche High School – 157