2018 ACC MEN’S CHAMPIONSHIPS
- When: Wednesday, February 21st to Saturday, February 24th | Prelims 10:00am | Finals 6:00pm
- Where: Greensboro Aquatics Center, Greensboro, NC (Eastern Time Zone)
- Defending Champion: NC State Wolfpack (results) fix
- Psych Sheet: here
- Live Results: here
- Streaming: WatchESPN (subscription required)
- Championship Central: here
- Day 4 Prelims Live Recap
When Louisville freshman Nicolas Albiero won the ACC title in the 200 fly on Saturday evening, he became not only the first-ever Louisville Cardinal to win the event since the team joined the ACC, but also the fastest 17-18 year-old swimmer in the history of the event.
Albiero won the 200 yard fly in 1:41.08, which breaks Andrew Seliskar’s 17-18 National Age Group Record of 1:41.33 set in 2014. Also in the top 5 all-time of that event are names like Tom Shields and Michael Phelps.
A comparison of splits between Albiero and Seliskar reveals something really unique and interesting about Albiero’s swim: his anchoring 26.02 50 split. That split not only pulled him from 3rd to 1st, but it blew him by the ‘record line’ that would’ve seemed out-of-reach heading into the last 50. For comparison, only one swimmer (Gunnar Bentz, 25.25) at NCAAs last year split faster on his last 50.
|New Record||Old Record|
Albiero, the son of Louisville head coach Arthur, won’t turn 19 until June 8th.