Three new athlete representatives were elected to the Athletes’ Executive Committee on Saturday at the USA Swimming business meetings in Colorado Springs.
Marco Greico from the Adirondack LSC, Lauren Hurt from the Southeastern LSC, and Davis Shelton from the Florida LSC were each selected to serve two year terms. They will join the other seven members of the AEC whose positions will be up next year.
They replace Annika Ruehlicke, Hannah Kukurugya, and Kylie Kelly, whose terms expired this year.
“We want to say the sincerest of thank yous to the members of the AEC who will be rolling off this year,” AEC chair Ellery Parish said. “They were tremendous contributors and we as a committee could not have completed the work we did without them.”
“My goals for my time on the AEC is to maximize the LSC Athlete Representative experience and be a resource for our grassroot athlete representatives,” Greico continued. “With the change in the composition of the House of Delegates and departure from the traditional USA Swimming Convention to the new Annual Business Meeting (ABM), I want to work with the new structure to maintain the LSC Athlete Representative experience and offer new opportunities despite these changes.
“I would like to see the group accomplish building on the mentorship program, establish more leadership opportunities, and collaboration to make the organization the best it can be for the athletes we represent.”
Shelton echoed the desire to work directly with grassroots athlete representatives.
“My goals within the AEC in the next year are to (1) emphasize direct communication with our grassroots athletes and representatives in order to create projects/initiatives that allow greater impact and exposure for those reps to national-level work and to (2) prioritize our relationship with the newly formed AAC and work in conjunction with them for max efficiency.”
The AAC is the Athletes’ Advisory Council, chaired by 2012 U.S. Olympian Caitlin Leverenz.
“With the recent changes to the composition of the House of Delegates and the overall environment of representation in USA-S, I feel that there a plethora of opportunities for athletes to get involved and flourish; and it is one of my goals as an AEC member to facilitate those opportunities and be a valuable resource.”
- Marco Greico is a junior at Colgate University. He doesn’t swim there, but previously was a member of the Clinton Cudas team in New Hartford, New York. He has been a National Athlete Representative for three years most recently on Operational Risk. He was the LSC Athlete Representative for Adirondack Swimming for two years.
- Davis Shelton is a freshman at Emory University. He previously was an age group swimmer in Tallahassee, Florida with the Area Tallahassee Aquatic Club. At the 2020 Florida High School 3A State Championship meet, he finished 9th in the 500 free in 4:36.67. He was 11th in 2019 as a junior and 8th in 2018 as a sophomore in that event. Shelton has served as a Florida Swimming Athlete Representative since 2019.
- Lauren Hurt is a sophomore at Rice University in Houston, where she’s a member of the swim team. At the 2021 Conference USA Championship meet, she scored 29 points individually via a 3rd place finish in the 200 IM and runner-up finishes in the 100 fly and 100 back. That contributed to a 2nd place team finish for the Owls. She previously swam for the Nashville Aquatic Club in Tennessee. As a high school senior, she finished 2nd in the Tennessee High School State Championship meet in the 200 IM. She has served as a Southeastern Swimming LSC Athlete Representative since 2017 and was also on the USA Swimming Athlete Committee.
Full USA Swimming Athletes’ Executive Committee
- Ellery Parish (2022) Chair
- Jake Simmons (2022) Vice Chair
- Jack Swanson (2022) Leadership Chair
- Annie Norris (2022) Program and Events Chair
- Juli Arazave (2022) DEI Liaison
- Matthew Rigsbee (2022) Program and Events/Leadership Liaison
- Josie Uerling (2022) At Large
- Marco Greico (2023) At Large
- Lauren Hurt (2023) At Large
- Davis Shelton (2023) At Large
- Maya Dirado Andrews BOD Athlete Representative