2016 Jose Finkel Trophy
- September 12th-17th, 2016
- Clube Internacional de Regatas, Santos, Brazil
- Brazilian short course meters championship meet
- World Championship qualifier
- Live Results
27-year old Manuella Lyrio has set the first night of the 2016 Jose Finkel Trophy ablaze with a new Brazilian and South American Record in the 200 short course meter freestyle.
Lyrio, who placed 12th in the long course version of this event last month at the Olympics, sealed her spot for the Short Course World Championships in December with a 1:54.76.
That swim, along with her prelims performance of 1:55.90, combined to crushed the old record of 1:56.43 that was set in 2009 by Tatiana Lemos.
The time ranks Lyrio 3rd in the world, behind only Katinka Hosszu and Madeline Groves, very early in the new season.
- Lemos 2009: 57.00/59.43 = 1:56.43
- Lyrio 2016: 55.87/58.89 = 1:54.76