#1 seed Wagner def. #2 seed Marist 8-4
- April 28, 2019
- McCann Natatorium; Poughkeepsie, New York
- Box Score
- MAAC Championship Central
Courtesy: Wagner Athletics
Poughkeepsie, NY – The No. 19 Wagner women’s water polo team became the first program in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) history to win six consecutive league titles after defeating Marist College, 8-4, on Sunday.
With the victory, which marks the Seahawks’ ninth MAAC women’s water polo championship overall, the Green & White earn the league’s automatic bid to the 2019 NCAA Championship.
The Red Foxes were the first to score before the Green & White answered with six straight goals from three First-Team All-MAAC selections in redshirt junior Kristy Donkin (4), Freshman and Rookie of the Year Sofia Diaz Alvarez (1), and junior Jacqui Sjogren (1).
Marist found the back of the net for its second goal of the game in the third period followed by a tally from sophomore Daisy Nankervis, to set the score at 7-2 heading into the fourth stanza.
However, the Red Foxes did not go away quietly, opening the final eight minutes by finding the back of the net twice in cutting the Seahawk lead to 7-4. Freshman Philippa Nash put the finishing touches on the game, registering her first goal with just eight seconds remaining.
Wagner’s sixth-straight conference tournament victory marks the most consecutive titles by any program in Wagner College Athletics history. Four-year seniors Erica Hardy, Abby Irving, Natalie Kayton and Sarah Limanni became the third class in Wagner history to win a championship in each season of their respective collegiate careers, joining last year’s senior class.
The NCAA Women’s Water Polo selection show will be streamed on NCAA.com on Monday, April 29 at 8:00 pm.
- Seven of Wagner’s nine MAAC Championship title game victories have come against Marist (2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2007).
- Over the course of two games, 2019 MAAC Tournament MVP Kristy Donkin found the back of the net eight times to lead the Seahawk scoring attack. In today’s win, Donkin notched four goals.
- Sophomore goalie Katherine Campbell and freshman attack Sofia Diaz Alvarez were named members of the All-Championship Team.
Courtesy: Marist Athletics
POUGHKEEPSIE, New York – Marist Water Polo fell to Wagner 8-4 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championship at McCann Natatorium. Despite the Red Foxes putting together one of their best defensive efforts this season, Marist struggled to execute on the offensive end of the ball. The Championship game was one of five games Wagner’s offense was held to under 10 goals this season.
- Grace Doerfler, Anais Mathes, Justine Castro and Ariana Singer all scored for Marist.
- Wagner held a slim 2-1 lead heading into the second quarter. The Seahawks went on a 3-0 run in third quarter to take a 5-1 lead into the half.
- Carsen Horvatich and the Marist defense kept the Red Foxes in the game. Horvatich made several key saves to keep Wagner to no more than three goals in a quarter.
- Wagner’s defense held Marist scoreless in the second quarter and held Marist to 2-of-8 on power plays.
FROM THE COACH
“It’s just tough to see this go down this way because I know what were capable of and it’s just that mental side of things that get the best of you.” Stated Head Coach Chris Vidale. “It’s hard to end this way but we’ll continue to do what we do to compete and end up in this championship.”