Axel Reymond, from France, and Alice Franco, from Italy, were the winners of the fourth race of the 2019 FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series, taking place on August 24 in Ohrid Lake (MKD). Reymond needed 5h20m55s3 to complete the 25km-event, while Franco swam during 5h41m15s5 to get the gold medal. The six-leg circuit visited Argentina (races in Santa Fe and in Rosario, in February), Canada (Lac St-Jean in July), and will now proceed to Novi (CRO) and conclude in Capri/Napoli (ITA) on September 7.
In the men’s category, Evgeni Pop Acev, the local hero, managed to get the silver medal, arriving a mere eight seconds after the winner, in a time of 5h21m03s0. In the last march of the podium, Francesco Ghettini, from Italy, touched in 5h21m09s3. While these are the first medals of the season for both the French and North Macedonian swimmer, Ghettini had been the winner of the inaugural race of the year, in Santa Fe (ARG).
Among women, two Argentinean swimmers stood on the remaining places of the podium: the silver went to Erika Yenssen, in a time of 5h42m31s8, while her teammate Pilar Geijo was third in 5h50m30s2. The latter had been second in Santa Fe and Lac St-Jean, while Franco had earned bronze in the Canadian leg.
Medalists in Ohrid (MKD):
1. Axel Reymond (FRA), 5h20m55s3; 2. Evgenij Pop Acev (MKD), 5h21m03s0; 3. Francesco Ghettini (ITA), 5h21m09s3
1. Alice Franco (ITA), 5h41m15s5; 2. Erika Yenssen (ARG), 5h42m31s8; 3. Pilar Geijo (ARG), 5h50m30s2
FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series 2019 Calendar:
1. Santa Fe (ARG), February 3
2. Rosario (ARG), February 9
3. Lac St-Jean (CAN), July 27
4. Ohrid Lake (MKD), August 24
5. Novi (CRO), August 31
6. Capri/Napoli (ITA), September 7