Central Connecticut State vs. Sacred Heart
- Oct. 12, 2019
- New Britain, Connecticut
- Central Connecticut def. Sacred Heart 183.5-116.5
Courtesy: Central Connecticut State Athletics
The Central Connecticut swimming and diving team won a dual meet against Sacred Heart on Saturday at the Jack Suydam Natatorium. The Blue Devils won 10 events and had three swimmers claim two individual event victories each. CCSU outscored Sacred Heart, 183.5-116.5.
Score: Central Connecticut 183.5, Sacred Heart 116.5
Location: Jack Suydam Natatorium (New Britain, CT)
- Senior Erika Maercklein won the 1000 yard free (10:51.23) and 500 yard freestyle (5:18.5)
- Sophomore Alex Lindgren won the 100 yard breaststroke (1:08.27) and 200 yard breast (2:28.21).
- Sophomore Kaylin McMahon won the 100 yard backstroke (1:00.46) and 200 yard backstroke (2:12.92).
NUMBER TO KNOW
10 – The Blue Devils won 10 of 16 events on Saturday.
- CCSU won the 400 yard freestyle relay in a time of 3:40.42. Maercklein, sophomores Hallie Perrin, Katie Czulewicz and Jeannette King turned in a time four seconds faster than the second-place relay.
- The CCSU ‘A’ relay won the 200 medley relay to begin the day. Perrin, junior Katelyn Mann, sophomore Simona Visinski and King turned in a time of 1:51.88.
- King won the 100 yard free in a time of 54.23.
- Czulewicz won the 200 yard free (1:56.04), just ahead of King (1:57.70).
- Mann placed second in three individual events, 100 breast (1:09.00), 100 yard fly (1:00.57) and 200 yard IM (2:13.92).
Central is back in the pool in two weeks when it travels to New Hampshire on Saturday, Oct. 26.
Courtesy: Sacred Heart Athletics
NEW BRITAIN, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Swimming and Diving team fell to Northeast Conference rival Central Connecticut State this afternoon by a final score of 183.5 to 116.5. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday, Oct. 19 when SHU competes at Iona. Swim begins at 11:30 while Diving begins at 9:00 a.m.
-Sophomore Megan McLaughlin swept both diving events, McLaughlin and fellow sophomore Molly Martin teamed up to take first and second on both 1 meter and 3 meter boards.
-Sophomore Nicole Tingley was a two event winner, taking first in the 200 fly with a time of 2:12.77, and tying for first in the 200 IM with a time of 2:13:92.
-Junior Emily Peter won the 100 fly with a time of 59.60.
-Senior Lauren Somers took first in the 50 freestyle recording a solid time of 25.19.
Nicole Tingley – 200 fly, 1st (2:12.77), 200 back, 2nd (2:12.98), 200 IM Tie-1st (2:13.92)
Fiona Maxwell – 200 fly, placed third with a time of (2:16.87)
Taylor Eck – 100 back, took third place recording a time of (1:02.37)
Emily Peter – 100 fly, took first with a solid time of (59.60)
Lauren Somers – 50 free, first (25.19), 100 free, second (54.58), 200 free, third place (1:57.89)
Freestyles Distance 500 & 1000
Jillian Pusateri – 1000 free, 3rd (11:09.87) 500 free, 2nd (5:28.72)
Megan McLaughlin – 1 meter, first place (195.60), 3 meter, first place (189.53)
Molly Martin – 1 meter, 2nd (174.97), 3 meter, 2nd (187.72)
200 medley relay (Taylor Eck, Julia Pusateri, Nicole Tingley, Grace Bergstrom) third, 1:53.67