New Hampshire vs. Central Connecticut State
- Oct. 26, 2019
- New Britain, Connecticut
- New Hampshire def. Central Connecticut State 175-110
Courtesy: New Hampshire Athletics
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – The Wildcats won all 16 events as the University of New Hampshire swimming and diving team defeated Central Connecticut, 175-110, on Saturday at Jack Suydam Natatorium. The Wildcats improve to 2-0 on the season, while CCSU is now 1-1.
UNH was led by senior Corinne Carbone (Medway, Mass.) and sophomore Anna Metzler (Regensburg, Germany) who each won three individual events, and senior Anna Burns (Falmouth, Maine) who posted the highest score in both diving events. Carbone was also a member of the winning 400 medley relay team.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Carbone recorded the fastest time in the 200 free (1:54.81), 100 fly (59.34) and 200 IM (2:09.36).
- Metzler captured the 200 fly (2:05.68), 100 free (53.23) and 200 breast (2:23.93).
- Burns totaled the best score in the one-meter diving event (199.80) and in the three-meter with a career-best score of 218.93.
- Freshman Jamy Lum (Honolulu, Hawaii) posted two first-place finishes as she won the 100 breast (1:06.76) and 500 free (5:04.84).
- Four Wildcats each won one event as freshman Audrey Tirrell (Gaithersburg, Md.) took the 100 free (10:34.41), junior Melissa Dingle (Brighton, Ontario) placed first in the 100 back (59.28), sophomore Cate Wardinski (Burke, Va.) won the 50 free (24.83) and junior Paige Hillis (Mississauga, Ontario) captured the 200 back (2:10.24).
- The 400 medley relay team of Dingle, Lum, Hillis and Carbone tallied a winning time of 3:57.05, while the 200 free relay team of Wardinski, Tirrell, freshman Paige Edmier (Bartlett, Ill.) and sophomore Cassidy Wilson (Toledo, Ohio) recorded the fastest time at 1:40.88.
The Wildcats will return to Swasey Pool when they host Northeastern on Saturday, Nov. 2 at noon. The meet can be viewed on AmericaEast.tv.
Score: New Hampshire 170, Central Connecticut 110
Location: New Britain, Conn. (Jack Suydam Natatorium)
Date: Saturday, Oct. 26
Records: UNH 2-0, CCSU 1-1
Courtesy: Central Connecticut State Athletics
The Central Connecticut swimming and diving team was outscored by New Hampshire, 175-110, Saturday at the Jack Suydam Natatorium. The Blue Devils won three events in a home dual meet against the Wildcats.
Score: Central Connecticut 110, New Hampshire 175
Location: Jack Suydam Natatorium (New Britain, CT)
KEY PERFORMANCES | COMPLETE RESULTS
- Senior Kirsten Bednarz scored 176.77 points in the three-meter diving event. Classmate Reagan Kenney scored 123 points to help CCSU finish first and second.
- Sophomore Mariana Espino won the 200 yard IM with a time of 2:17.93, edging seniors Grace Regan (2:18.81) and Keelin Kendall (2:19.46).
- Central’s ‘A’ relay won the 200 yard freestyle relay. Sophomores Jeannette King, Katie Czulewicz, Hallie Perrin and Simona Visinski turned in a time of 1:40.94.
- CCSU ‘A’ (sophomore Kaylin McMahon, Espino, senior Katelyn Mann, King) placed second in the 400 yard medley relay with a time of 4:01.82.
- King also placed second in the 100 yard freestyle (53.86).
- Junior Erin Brown placed second in both the 100 yard backstroke (1:01.73) and the 200 yard backstroke (2:11.92).
- Senior Erika Maercklein had a second place finish in the 200 yard free (1:56.17) and placed third in the 500 yard free (5:13.59).
- Freshman Shannon Welcome finished second in the 100 yard fly (1:01.06).
- Central swimmers earned third-place finishes with senior Grace Fredericks in the 1000 free (11:21.20), sophomore Mariana Espino in the 100 yard breaststroke (1:08.76), sophomore Kaylin McMahon in the 200 fly (2:15.33), Visinski in the 50 free (25.53), sophomore Alex Lindgren in the 200 breaststroke (2:28.09), and Mann in the 100 yard butterfly (1:01.11).
Central hosts Bryant and Wagner on Nov. 1 and 2.