World Championship finalist James Guy will lead a squad of 14 athletes at the World Junior Swimming Championships at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Sports Complex, Dubai from 26th – 31st August.
Guy, the two-time European Junior Champion in 2013, recently finished fifth in the 400m Freestyle on his senior debut at the FINA World Championships in Barcelona.
In Dubai he will be joined by three-time European Junior Champion Matthew Johnson (City of Sheffield) and European Junior gold medallist from 2012, Molly Renshaw of Derventio Excel.
Mark Perry, Team Leader for the competition said: “We have a very strong team, 11 of whom are medallists on the European Junior stage so we are looking to put in some strong performances in Dubai.
“Some of the squad have competed before at the World Junior Championships and they will be looking to improve on their previous performances.”
Head Coach Graeme Antwhistle from the British Gas Bath ITC said: “It’s a small, but focused team with lots of talent.
“The World Junior Championships gives the swimmers the opportunity for high quality racing at the end of the season, against the best in their age group.
“For some this will be their first double taper experience but I have no doubt that the whole team will be able to step up for the competition and race hard.”
The British Gas GBR Swimming Team comprises:
- · James Guy – Millfield
- · Caleb Hughes – Hatfield
- · Matthew Johnson -City of Sheffield
- · Max Litchfield -Doncaster Dartes
- · Karl Morgan -Nova Centurion
- · Mark Szaranek – Carnegie
- · Emma Day – Guildford City
- · Georgina Evans -City of Liverpool
- · Jessica Fullalove -City of Manchester
- · Amber Keegan – Nova Centurion
- · Charlotte McKenzie – F.I.R.S.T
- · Molly Renshaw – Derventio excel
- · Sophie Taylor – City of Leeds
- · Grace Vertigans – Plymouth Leander
This release was provided to swimswam by British Swimming.