St Francis v. Bowling Green
- Loretto, PA
- Friday, September 28, 2018
- Full Results
- Score: Bowling Green 163, St. Francis 78
Courtesy of Bowling Green Athletics
The Bowling Green State University swimming and diving team opened their 2017-18 season in Loretto, PA. where they defeated hosts Saint Francis University in a dual meet. The meet concluded with a final point tally of 163-78 in favor of the Falcons. The Falcons had swimmers finish first in all but three events.
From the 10 events in which the Falcons placed first; seven events included a Falcon in second place, three events included Falcons in the top three, and two events included Falcons in the top four.
• Sophomore Jordan Andrusak placed first in two individual events. Andrusak came in a close second in the 50-yard breaststroke; Saint Francis’ Mack Lawson finished first with a time of 31.38, while the BGSU sophomore trailed behind with a time of 31.58.
• Andrusak later beat Lawson in the 100-yard breaststroke, finishing first at 1:07.54; Mawkson finished behind the Bowling Green Sophomore with an end time of 1:08.29.
• The Victoria, BC native finished first in the 200-yard IM, ending the race at 2:08.19.
• Andrusak was also in the Bowling Green team (Lauren Sullivan, Andrusak, Hennings, Ashleigh Franks) that placed first in the 200-yard medley relay race (1:48.62).
• Sophomore Sarah Hennings also had a strong performance, finishing first in the 50-yard butterfly (26.64), and placing second behind a Saint Francis swimmer in the 100-yard butterfly (57.86).
• Franks helped Bowling Green finish first in the 200-yard Medley relay, and in the 5×100-yard freestyle race (Franks, Mary Edwards, Caroline Neely, Kristen Puthoff, Meghan Burnard; 4:39.62).
• Senior Franziska Wohlert led the winning team of BSGU swimmers that finished first in the 200-yard freestyle relay (Wohlert, Shaunna Jones, Franks, Sullivan; 1:39.60), and also placed first in the 200-yard freestyle (1:54.85). Wohert came in second in the 100-yard freestyle (54.17).
• Elodie Schreiber finished first in the 100-yard backstroke with an end time of 1:00.36.
COACH PERKINS QUOTE
“I saw some good things tonight. It was a great team effort. The girls swam with confidence and we had some great performances. We did a lot of things well but we were able to see some areas that we can work on. I am happy for the team. They should be proud of their performance tonight.”
BGSU Swimming and Diving will be back at Cooper Pool on Oct. 6 for dual meet against the University of Findlay.
Courtesy of St. Francis Athletics
Loretto, Pa.- The Red Flash swam valiantly and despite a record breaking swim by Sabrina Bowman (Vandergrift, Pa./Saint Joseph’s) ultimately fell prey to the Bowling Green Falcons by a score of 163-78.
Coach Almoney was positive after his first meet with the Red Flash, “Overall, it was a good first meet. We are off to a good start. It is a long season but we are feeling very confident after tonight.”
Bowling Green won the 200 Yard Medley Relay with a time of 1:48.62. The highest placing Red Flash team of Urska Medsevek, Erin O’Neill (Lansdale, Pa./North Penn), Sabrina Bowman (Vandergrift, Pa./Saint Joseph’s) and Katelyn O’Connor (Torrance, Calif./South High) combined for a third place time of 149.40.
Urska Medsevek continued her stellar day with a third place time of 28.70 in the 50 Backstroke. Teresa Narduzzi (West Orange, N.J./West Orange) earned fourth by finishing 0.18 of a second behind her teammate.
Mackenzie Lawson (Charlottesville, Va./The Covenant School) wasted no time returning to her starring form with a convincing win in the 50 Backstroke. Lawson touched the wall in 31.38. Teammate Erin O’Neill (Lansdale, Pa./North Penn) placed fourth with a mark of 31.78.
Sabrina Bowman (Vandergrift, Pa./Saint Joseph’s) treated the packed Stokes Natatorium to a rare event as the swift swimmer set a new pool record in the 100 Butterfly. Bowman conquered the event in 56.59 seconds. Needless to say, her time won the event. Freshman Julia Bradford (Edinboro, Pa./Villa Maria Academy ) earned third place with a time of 1:00.17.
In the 50 Freestyle, spectators witnessed a rare event as Annabelle McCullough (Mercersburg, PA./James Buchanan High School) and Chloe Clemens(Chesterfield, Va. /Cosby High School) tied for third with twin times of 25:35.
Bowman continued her dominance with a win in the 100 Freestyle as the juggernaut junior touched the wall in 53.70.
Urska Medsevek, for the thrice time, finished third in an event. The Slovenian swimmer had a time of 1:01.56 in the 100 Backstroke. Fellow Flash Amelia Laudenbach (Kambah, Australia/Trinity Christian School) placed fourth with a time of 1:02.24.
In the 100 Breaststroke, Mackenzie Lawson (Charlottesville, Va./The Covenant School) narrowly missed out on first place with a time of 1:08.29.
The 5×100 Freestyle Relay squad of Karilyn Quon (Tempe, Ariz./Corona del Sol), Emily Graziano (Jeannette, Pa./Penn Trafford), Amanda Crnic (Conway, Ark./Conway), Urska Medsevek and Camille Nguyen (Mason, Ohio/Mason) raced well as a group to earn silver with a time of 4:46.38.
Annabelle McCullough (Mercersburg, PA./James Buchanan High School) grabbed second in the 50 Butterfly with a time of 26.53. Once again, there was a Saint Francis tie, this time for fourth as Camille Nguyen (Mason, Ohio/Mason) and Julia Bradford (Edinboro, Pa./Villa Maria Academy ) shared a symmetry time of 27.27.
Karilyn Quon (Tempe, Ariz./Corona del Sol) placed second in the 200 IM with a mark of 2:11.18.
In the concluding event of the 200 Freestyle Relay, the SFU squad of Bowman, O’Neill, Kristen Toth (Silver Spring, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti), and Katelyn O’Connor (Torrance, Calif./South High) navigated the pool to a time of 1:40.10 good enough for third place.
A full list of results can be found here.
The Red Flash return to the pool on October 5th and 6th at the Northeast Catholic Invitational.