Courtesy: UC San Diego Athletics
LA JOLLA, Calif. – The No. 10 UC San Diego water polo team won a pair of contests in their home opener against California Baptist. The Tritons defeated California Baptist 15-7 in the first game and 16-7 in the second game. Fifteen different players scored between two games.
Both offenses struggled to find the goal through most of the first quarter. The Tritons finally broke through with a penalty goal from Grace Pevehouse with 2:43 left in the quarter. This sparked a 5-0 run from the Tritons, capped by another penalty goal from Pevehouse.
The Lancers would get on the board with two goals, but the Tritons responded with two more to take a 7-2 lead into the half.
The Tritons offense continued to click and they outscored the Lancers 8-5 in the second half. In total, nine different Tritons scored in game one with Ciara Franke leading the team with three.
California Baptist struck first, but the Tritons responded with a 4-0 run to close out the first quarter. Four different Tritons scored during that run including Annika Arroyo’s first career goal.
The Tritons outscored the Lancers 3-1 in the second frame to give them a 7-2 lead. Olivia Seargeant scored her first goal of her career with 13 seconds left in the quarter.
The defense continued to hold strong while the offense added nine more goals in the second half. Bennett Bugelli paced the defense in game two with 13 saves.
- Three different Tritons scored their first career goal today: Grayson Mix, Arroyo and Seargent
- Between both games, the Tritons won seven-of-eight sprints Holly Maine won all five of her sprints
- Karis Couch had a team high six goals on the day. Her four in game two set a new career high
- UC San Diego went three-for-three in penalty shots in game one
- Katie Ward saw her first action in the cage and finished the day with four saves.
The Tritons will travel to UC Irvine for a pair of non-conference games on March 5 and 6.