2016 BRAZILIAN OPEN
There were no records broken on day 1 of the 2016 Brazilian Open Championships that is the first leg of Brazilian qualifying for the 2017 World Championships in long course (in the midst of most of the world honed in on short course).
Among the day 1 winners was the country’s top female swimmer, Etiene Medeiros, swimming her secondary stroke, the 50 fly, to a win in 26.51. She out-raced her SESI teammate Daynara de Paula in 26.76.
In the men’s 200 back, Brandonn Almeida, who recently made the decision to head to the United States to continue his training, won in 1:59.71. Almeida, primarily a distance freestyler and 400 IMer, swam under 2 minutes for the first time in his career in the final. Leonardo de Deus swam 1:58.39 in the morning, and satisfied with his swim, he opted out of the open final.
- The women’s 200 back was won with a lifetime best from Corinthians’ Gabriela Albuquerque in 2:15.08, a full second ahead of teammates Natalia de Luccas (2:16.03).
- In the women’s 800 free, Brazilian Record holder Joanna Maranhao won in 8:38.73 – about 6 seconds slower than her best. She did negative-split the race by nearly 4 seconds, however, swimming 4:21.2 on the front-half and 4:17.5 on the back-half.
- Guilherme da Costa won the men’s 1500 free in 15:17.46, running away from the field by 18 seconds.
Team to Date
The Brazilian site Best Swim is tracking, after each day of the meet, who the 8 qualified swimmers for the World Championships would be to this point of the meet based on the relative points of their meets. While there are still 3 more days to go in this meet, plus the whole of the Maria Lenk Trophy, this list is “if the meets ended today,” and so is not an official roster.
- William Coast Unisanta 1500 meters freestyle 15: 17:46 856 points
- Joanna Maranhao Pinheiros 800 meters freestyle 8: 38.73 848 points
- Leonardo de Deus Corinthians 200 back 1: 58.39 845 points
- Viviane Jungblut’s Uniao 800 meters freestyle 8: 42.89 828 points
- Brandonn Almeida Corinthians 200 back 1: 59.71 817 points
- Luiz Rogerio Arapiraca Unisanta 1500 meters freestyle 15: 35.28 808 points
- Gabriela Albuquerque Corinthians 200 back 2: 08.15 775 points
- Natalia de Luccas Corinthians 200 back 2: 16.03 759 points