Another swimmer has been nominated for the SEC’s 2015 McWhorter Award. Vanderbilt’s Chrissy Oberg was nominated by her school for the award and has an impressive resume to back up that nomination. Last year, Georgia swimmer Shannon Vreeland was awarded the female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship.
Press release courtesy of the Southeastern Conference:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala., — Cross country runner John Ewing and swimmer Chrissy Oberg have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Vanderbilt University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2015 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 30.
Highlights of Vanderbilt’s nominees include:
John Ewing, Cross Country, Vanderbilt
• Chemical engineering major
• Has been accepted, and plans to attend, Vanderbilt Medical School
• Has been on the Dean’s List every semester he has completed at Vanderbilt (Fall 2011 – Fall 2014)
• SEC Academic Honor Roll (2013, 2014)
• SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll (2011-2012)
• Achieved a 4.0 in the Fall Semester of his Freshman Year
• Vanderbilt’s top finisher in three meets in 2014, including SEC Championship and NCAA South Regional
• Was either the No. 1 or 2 finisher among the Vanderbilt runners in every race of the 2014 season
• Posted a season’s best time of 25:38.13 at the SEC Championships as a junior
• Vanderbilt’s top finisher in a total of four meets during his sophomore season
Chrissy Oberg, Swimming, Vanderbilt
• Double major in American History and Political Science
• Compiled an overall GPA of 3.56, graduating in May 2015
• Plans to attend University of Virginia Law School
• Vanderbilt Dean’s List in Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2013, Spring 2014
• Four-time SEC Academic Honor Roll Member (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
• SEC Freshman Academic Honor Roll (2011-2012)
• Olympic Trails Qualifier in Summer 2012
• Multiple time finalist at the SEC Swimming and Diving Championships
• Holds two individual school records in the 100 (54.53), and 200 (1:56.35) breaststroke
• Contributed to two relay school records in the 200 and 400 medley relays; 1:42.07, and 3:40.65 respectively
• Four-year letter winner
• Varsity Swim Team Representative on the Vanderbilt Student Athlete Advisory Council
• Worked in office of Lamar Alexander, US Senator from Tennessee (June2014 – August 2014)
• Maymester abroad; “Vanderbilt in London” (May, 2014)
• Participated in WhoYouWith? Ministries, a mission trip to Lima, Peru (March 2013)
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in late May.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Cory Whitsett of the Alabama golf team and Shannon Vreeland of the Georgia swimming and diving team.