USA Women’s Senior National Team Head Coach Adam Krikorian has announced the 13 athlete roster that will represent Team USA at the upcoming FINA Women’s Intercontinental Tournament this April 28-May 3 in Auckland, New Zealand. Team USA will open competition on April 28 against Brazil. They will also take on China and Kazakhstan to close out group play. The top four finishers from this event will qualify for the FINA World League Super Final.
With the NCAA women’s water polo season still in full swing during this competition, the USA squad will be comprised of National Team veterans and rising stars from the high school game. Olympic Gold Medalists Melissa Seidemann (Walnut Creek, CA/Stanford/Stanford),Courtney Mathewson (Anaheim Hills, CA/UCLA/NYAC), and Kami Craig (Santa Barbara, CA/USC/Santa Barbara) will lead Team USA into action. Two-time Olympic medalist Betsey Armstrong (Ann Arbor, MI/Michigan/NYAC) temporarily returns to National Team action serving in a player/assistant coach role in the reserve goalkeeper position. Newport Harbor High School’s Carlee Kapana (Newport Beach, CA/Newport Harbor HS/Newport Beach) will start for Team USA in net.
See below for a complete USA roster and visit USAWaterPolo.org for updates throughout the competition.
2015 FINA Women’s Intercontinental Tournament Roster (Hometown/School/USAWP Club)
1. GK – Carlee Kapana (Newport Harbor, CA/Newport Harbor HS/Newport WPF)
2. A – Colleen O’Donnell (Palos Verdes, CA/USC/NYAC)
3. D – Melissa Seidemann (Walnut Creek, CA/Stanford/NYAC)
4. A – Makenzie Fischer (Laguna Beach, CA/Laguna Beach HS/SET)
5. D – KK Clark (Menlo Park, CA/UCLA/NYAC)
6. A – Maddie Musselman (Newport Beach, CA/Corona del Mar HS/CdM Aquatics)
7. A- Courtney Mathewson (Anaheim Hills, CA/UCLA/NYAC)
8. A – Aria Fischer (Laguna Beach, CA/Laguna Beach HS/SET)
9. A – Madison Berggren (Tualatin, OR/Tualatin HS/Tualatin Hills WPC)
10. A – Kaleigh Gilchrist (Newport Beach, CA/USC/Trojan)
11. A – Paige Hauschild (Santa Barbara, CA/San Marcos HS/805 WPC)
12. C – Kami Craig (Santa Barbara, CA/USC/Santa Barbara)
13. GK – Betsey Armstrong (Ann Arbor, MI/Michigan/NYAC)
Water Polo News is courtesy of USA Water Polo.