2015 WORLD UNIVERSITY GAMES
- July 4th-July 11th, 2015 (Saturday-Saturday)
- Gwangju, South Korea
- Prelims 8:30AM/Finals 7PM (local time)
- Prelims 7:30PM (day before)/Finals 6AM (U.S. Eastern Time)
- Full meet preview
- Link to Day Two Prelims Coverage
- The official FISU feed: http://www.livefisu.tv
- In the United States: ESPN3.com
- Twitter: @swimswamlive
As reported by SwimSwam Contributor Robert Gibbs:
MEN’S 800 FREE FINAL
Top seed Jay Lelliott of Great Britain took it out strong, leading at the 100 and 200 marks. Sergi Frolov of Ukraine stayed close to Leliott, briefly taking the lead at the 600m mark, but Leliott battled back with some long, effective underwaters you don’t often see in distance races. Nonetheless, Frolov finally overhauled Leliott and pulled away for the win. Frolov finished in 7:50.28 and Leliott in 7:50.97. Meanwhile, Ayatsugu Hirai of Japan turned on the gas in the final laps to overtake American Janadarn Burns, who had been in bronze medal position for much of the race. Hirai’s time was 7:52.77; Burns touched in 7:56.43.
Notably, Frolov’s time is third fastest in the world this year, and Leliott’s is now the sixth-fastest.