Courtesy: Indiana Athletics
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Indiana Women’s Water Polo won both of its games on Sunday to finish the Michigan Invitational and open its season, 2-2. The No. 23 Hoosiers never trailed as they beat No. 11 Pacific, 13-5, in the first game and they came from behind to win the second game over No. 24 Marist, 10-8. Sophomore Tina Doherty led the Hoosiers against Pacific with three goals, while grabbing two steals and senior Megan Abarta scored three goals against Marist.
- The Hoosiers scored the first two goals of the match against Pacific in the first 40 seconds with goals by Abarta and Doherty. The Hoosiers never relinquished the lead.
- Sophomore Izzy Mandema scored her second goal of the game for Indiana at the 2:50 mark of the second quarter to give the Hoosiers a 5-2 lead and freshman Berta Pascual scored her second goal to give IU a 7-3 lead over Pacific at the 6:17 mark of the third quarter.
- Doherty scored her second and third goals of the game only 41 seconds apart to give the Hoosiers an 11-5 lead.
- After trailing, 4-2, against Marist, the Hoosiers went on a 4-1 run to take the lead, 6-5, on a Mandema goal at the 4:22 mark of the third.
- After Marist tied the game at seven, Abarta scored her third goal of the game and Doherty followed with a goal with 4:42 remaining to give IU a 9-7 lead.
- With the Hoosiers only up by one late in the game, senior Gillian Gatecliff scored the game-clinching goal with 2:16 remaining to extend the lead to 10-8.
- With two wins on Sunday, the Hoosiers finished the Michigan Invitational and improved the season record to 2-2. IU leads the all-time series against Pacific, 5-4, and leads the all-time series against Marist, 13-1.
- The ranked wins over No. 11 Pacific and No. 24 Marist are the first wins against ranked opponents for the Hoosiers since its season opener against No. 15 UC San Diego on Jan. 19, 2019.
- The Hoosiers never trailed against Pacific and recorded their first come-from-behind win of the season over Marist.
- Sophomore Mary Askew helped the Hoosiers sweep Sunday with 23 total saves over two games, including a career-high 13 saves against Pacific. Askew’s record improves to 2-1 on the season and she now has a total of 33 saves.
- Freshmen Robyn Greenslade and Rebecca Schofield scored their first-career goals against Pacific.
- Freshman Lauren Gaudry scored her first-career goal against Marist.
- Doherty scored a team-high 12 goals over four games during the weekend and Abarta followed with nine.
- Goals: Tina Doherty (3), Izzy Mandema (2), Berta Pascual (2), Robyn Greenslade, Zoe Crouch, Hannah Falls-Hand, Lauren Etnyre, Megan Abarta, Rebecca Schofield
- Assists: Megan Abarta (3), Juli Hilovsky, Mary Askew, Berta Pascual
- Goals: Megan Abarta (3), Izzy Mandema (2), Berta Pascual, Tina Doherty, Lauren Gaudry, Rebecca Schofield, Gillian Gatecliff
- Assists: Berta Pascual, Izzy Mandema, Tina Doherty, Megan Abarta, Gillian Gatecliff
- Indiana’s next action will be in the UCSD Triton Invitational that takes place on Feb. 8-9. The opponents and times for tournament are expected to be released in the coming days.