The first Colorado Boys’ High School Rankings of the 2018 season have been released by PrepSwimCo.com, maintained by Mountain Vista Swimming and Diving head coach Rob Nasser. The rankings effectively take season-best times to date and score them as though they were a state meet – all rolling toward the actual state meets that will be held on May 18th and 19th.
Unlike girls’ high school swimming in Colorado, boys’ swimming is still split into just 2 classes: the bigger schools (5A) and the smaller schools (4A). Early in the season, three-time defending champions Fossil Ridge is the dominant team in the bigger classification, thanks to a powerful senior class. That class includes Missouri-bound Danny Kovac, who has the state’s top time in the 100 free (45.73) and the 200 IM (1:53.13); and ranks 2nd in the 100 back (52.54) and 100 fly (49.97).
Class 4A looks much more competitive at the top, at least early in the season, with Silver Creek and Windsor being separated by only 3 projected points right now. Three-time defending champions Cheyenne Mountain open the season ranked just 9th.
There’s already been one big invite, the Dick Rush Invitational, accounted for in these rankings, but the next few weeks should shape out the picture more clearly headed toward the state meet.
Per the rankings’ administrator, Rob Nasser:
- A team scores points just like a championship meet by placing an athlete or relay in the top 16 and points are awarded in that fashion.
- Adjustments have been made that account for athletes ranked in more than 2 individual events so that the scores are not skewed from one athlete/school.
- The main reason for this is to hopefully generate more publicity for all the kids who have worked so hard for it and swimming and diving in general.
- This is geared more for prediction of how the state championship meets will turn out, rather than how a dual meet against two teams will fare.
- Times/scores have been pulled in only from data submitted to MaxPreps. If you do not see times in there that should be, then you most likely did not submit them. This should help to motivate people/coaches to submit them in a timely manner. (Hint: Submit your meets to MaxPreps ASAP)
- An exhaustive listing of all submitted times is located at MaxPreps.com.
- If there is a media outlet that you would like me to include when I send these out, please let me know and I will add them in.