Scottish Swimming has revealed its 2017 championship meet schedule for both junior and senior swimmers. Venues and dates have been announced for the nation’s 5 biggest meets, including the Scottish National Open Swimming Championships. Next year’s edition of that competition will serve as qualification for Team Scotland’s 2018 Commonwealth Games roster.
Below are the major Scottish competitions with venues and dates provided:
- Scottish National Age Group Championships, March 29th-April 2nd, Aquatics Centre at Aberdeen Sports Village – This LCM competition is typically the first national competition in which junior swimmers will compete. The meet serves as an opportunity for swimmers to gain ranking spots for the British Summer Nationals and Scottish Summer Meet held later in the season.
- Scottish National Open Swimming Championships, June 29th-July 2nd, Aquatics Centre at Aberdeen Sports Village – World-class swimmers typically attend this open competition. Next year’s edition will serve as qualification for Team Scotland’s 2018 Commonwealth Games roster. The 2016 version of the meet was held at Tollcross International swimming Centre June 30th to July 2nd.
- Scottish Summer Meet, July 14th-16th (tentative), Tollcross International Swimming Centre in Glasgow – Swimmers having obtained specific long course rankings within the designated qualification window are invited to compete at this long course competition.
- Scottish National Team Championships, September 23, Tollcross International Swimming Centre in Glasgow – This meet typically includes the top 10 Junior Teams from the National Age Group Championships held several months earlier. Athletes within the teams are selected based on their performances across the UK by Scottish Swimming’s Performance Director and National Coach.
- Scottish National Short Course Championships, December 8th-10th, Royal Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh – A widely attended meet within the region and beyond.