2018 ARGENTINA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS & SOUTH AMERICAN GAMES QUALIFIER
- April 25th-28th, 2018
- CENARD, Argentina
- Live Results
The fourth and final day of the 2018 Argentinian National Championships saw one more name added to the South American Games roster, along with a few others already qualified adding an event and 24-year-old Andrea Berrino notching a pair of victories.
19-year-old Santiago Bergliaffa was the only one to add his name to the SA Games Roster with his swim in the 400 IM, putting up a time of 4:25.97 to easily get under the standard of 4:28.75.
Also getting under the Games qualifying mark was Federico Grabich, the 2015 Pan Am champ and World Championship bronze medalist in the 100 freestyle. Having already qualified in the 200 free and 100 back, the 28-year-old swam to victory in his signature event, posting a time of 49.71 to get under the standard of 50.12. He was a tad faster, 49.68, in the heats. Guido Buscaglia (50.40) and Robert Strelkov (51.29), both of whom have already qualified, took 2nd and 3rd.
Gabriel Morelli swam to the win in the men’s 200 breaststroke in a time of 2:17.20. Though he was off the qualifying mark of 2:16.99 in the final, he got under it in prelims (2:16.47) and is already on the roster for the 100m event.
The other qualifying swim came from Macarena Ceballos, as she triumphed over American Breeja Larson in the 100 breast in a time of 1:09.25, well under the 1:11.06 qualifying time. She had already qualified for the Games in the 50 breast, while Larson was a solid 1:09.91 for the runner-up slot.
The 2012 Olympic gold medalist also finished as the runner-up in the women’s 50 freestyle, swimming to a time of 26.48 to trail only national record holder Andrea Berrino (26.16). Berrino also won the 100 back in 1:03.00, giving her two wins on the day despite narrowly missing the qualifying standard in both. She gave the mark of 1:02.53 a second attempt leading off CUC’s medley relay, but came in at 1:03.01. Larson split 1:09.75 as they won easily in 4:18.31.
- 2011 Pan American champion Kristel Kobrich won the women’s 1500 freestyle going away in 16:14.28, and though there is no qualifying time in the event, she’s already booked her ticket in the 800 free.
- Nicolas Greco (27.36) edged Juan Gutierrez (27.55) in the men’s 50 back.
Argentina Qualifiers for the South American Championships:
- Robert Strelkov, 50 fly, 23.82 (NR)
- Macarena Ceballos, 50 breast, 31.94
- Gabriel Morelli, 100 breast, 1:01.84
- Federico Grabich, 200 free, 1:47.56
- Cecilia Biagioli, 800 free, 8:46.74
- Agustin Hernandez, 100 back, 55.85
- Federico Grabich, 100 back, 55.88 (prelims)
- Virginia Bardach Martin, 400 IM, 4:47.43
- Guido Buscaglia, 50 free, 22.53
- Robert Strelkov, 50 free, 22.75 (prelims)
- Robert Strelkov, 100 fly, 53.27
- Kristel Kobrich, 800 free, 8:35.72
- Gabriel Morelli, 200 breast, 2:16.47 (prelims)
- Federico Grabich, 100 free, 49.68 (prelims – also under in final)
- Macarena Ceballos, 100 breast, 1:09.25
- Santiago Bergliaffa, 400 IM, 4:25.97