There will always be a time and place for warm and comforting meals, but during the Olympics, things get so heated we can barely stay in our seats.
Here are 3 plant based dishes that are packed with essential nutrients to keep you staying cool while providing you with the necessaries to keep you energized during the watch party.
- Kale: The most nutrient dense food on the planet! (Vit. A, C, K, B6, calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium)
- Quinoa: Fiber, antioxidant, 8g of protein, iron, magnesium, manganese)
- Orzo: Great source of carbohydrates, high in thiamine and niacin
- Tomatoes: main source of antioxidant , vitc and potassium
- Peppers: High in vitc, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory
- Avocado : Good source of fat, vitc, e, k B6, Omega 3
- Lemon: VitC, aids digestion, promotes hydration
- Olive oil: World’s healthiest fat, helps improve cardiovascular system, VitE,K, antioxidant
Orzo quinoa pasta salad
- Cook 1 cup of orzo, ½ cup of quinoa with 1 cup of water. Q
- Prepare salad with a choice of greens and veggies. I chose kale topped with tomato, peppers, ½ and avocado.
- Make dressing. I squeezed fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
- Adchoices of seasoning. I used salt, pepper, and paprika
- Mix in orzo once cooked and slightly cooled. Add dressing and seasoning and mix well
One of tik tok’s latest trends, nature cereals consist of tons of fruits mixed in with fresh coconut water.
- Wash and combine fruits into a bowl
- Pour in coconut water and mix well
- Option to add chia seeds, ice cubes, and mint to garnish
- Rice paper
- Red Cabbage
- Bell peppers
- Peanut butter
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Lime juice
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Coconut sugar or maple syrup
- Start by making the marinade for your tofu. In a bowl mix 1tbp soy sauce, 1 spoonful of peanut butter, ½ tbp of sriracha, ½ of lime’s juice, 1 tsp of sesame oil, ½ tsp of water, ½ tbp of sweetener and mix well. Adjust measurements for choice of taste. If too thick, add more water. Add more sriracha or chilli flakes if desired for spice.
- Next cut tofu into about 2 inch long thick pieces of tofu and soak in marinade
- Heat up pan and cook the tofu until slightly golden
- Prepare the rice paper by soaking in water for about 5 seconds until soften
- Start by adding in your tofu, then veggies. Once you have added yoru desired fillings, roll the summer rolls as if you are rolling them like a burrito. Add seame seeds on rolls for garnish.
- Repeat the process 4-5 times then you have a meal! Dip your rolls into the peanut sauce.