Six-time Olympic medalist Matt Grevers, 35, will participate in an indoor cycling challenge hosted by Peloton, a New York-based fitness media company and maker of luxury at-home fitness equipment, on ESPN Saturday.
Dubbed the “Peloton All-Star Ride,” the event will feature eight male and eight female star athletes (all current Peloton users) in two separate 20-minute classes. The rider with the highest output number (the combination of a rider’s cadence and resistance on the bike) in each of the two rides will be declared the winner for his or her respective division.
If the participating pro athletes collectively reach an output of 3,000, Peloton will donate one million meals to the Food Bank for New York City.
The race will stream live on ESPN, on the ESPN app, and on ESPN’s Twitter, YouTube and Facebook pages at noon ET. ESPN’s Ryan Ruocco and Peloton instructor Ally Love will provide commentary for the one-hour show. The men will be taught by instructor Alex Toussaint and the women taught by instructor Robin Arzon.
After the show airs, the class will be available on-demand for users of the Peloton bike or app, allowing riders to compete alongside the pros on an interactive leaderboard.
- Mike Golic Jr.: Radio host and former Notre Dame offensive lineman, riding out of Avon, Connecticut.
- Matt Grevers: Olympic swimmer, riding out of Tucson, Arizona.
- Gordon Hayward: Small forward for the Boston Celtics, riding out of Wellesley, Massachusetts.
- Booger McFarland: NFL analyst and two-time Super Bowl winner, riding out of Odessa, Florida.
- Rory McIroy: Professional golfer, riding out of Jupiter, Florida.
- Kyle Rudolph: Tight end for the Minnesota Vikings, riding out of Wayzata, Minnesota.
- Justin Thomas: Professional golfer, riding out of Jupiter, Florida.
- Bubba Watson: Professional golfer, riding out of Pensacola, Florida.
- Victoria Azarenka: Professional tennis player, riding out of Boca Raton, Florida.
- Allyson Felix: Six-time Olympic track and field gold medalist, riding out of Santa Clarita, California.
- Morgan Pressel: Professional golfer, riding out of Boca Raton, Florida.
- Monica Puig: Professional tennis player, riding out of Doral, Florida.
- Colleen Quigley: NCAA national champion and Olympic cross country runner, riding out of Portland, Oregon.
- Kyla Ross: Gold medal-winning Olympic gymnast, riding out of Dana Point, California.
- Michele Smith: Two-time, gold medal-winning, Olympic softball player, riding out of Treasure Island, Florida.
- Dawn Staley: Coach of the University of South Carolina women’s basketball team, riding out of Columbia, South Carolina.
With fitness enthusiasts and professional athletes homebound amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Peloton and its $2,000-plus bike have surged. The company reported a 66% year-over-year increase in sales for the quarter that ended March 31, and is now struggling to keep its equipment stocked at a high enough rate to meet demand.