After 47 years as one of the legendary venues for aquatics in the United States, the old Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool is no more, as demolition crews in Long Beach took the old building down over the last month in the waning twilight of 2014.
See below for videos of the pool’s deconstruction and demolition, plus a set of pictures from the teardown, thanks to Lucy Johnson.
- Belmont Plaza Pool to Close for Good.
- Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool Confirmed with Separate Diving Well.
- Belmont Plaza temporary pool opens.
- City council approves $103-million Belmont Pool Project.
- Take a trip down memory lane with these photos of the pool before demolition began.
Video via Chaz Curry, a producer who is putting together a documentary on the pool called “Diving for Gold.”
Video via Justin Rudd:
Photos below, all via Lucy Johnson: