Team: Fort Myer Swim Team (Arlington VA)
Position: Head Coach
Time: 2016 Summer Season, May 31 through August 6, 2016
Description: The Fort Myer Swim Team (FMST) program is seeking one experienced Head Coach for the 2016 swim season. The Fort Myer Squids are a well-established team located on base at Fort Myer in Arlington County, Virginia. The Squids currently compete in the Red Division of the Colonial Swim League. We are looking for a high-energy, motivated individual to lead approximately (175) swimmers of all ability levels in our developmental and competitive summer swim league, as well as coordinate and manage our assistant and junior coaches. Afternoon practices begin the Tuesday after Memorial Day from 4-7pm. When public school has ended practices are held in the morning from 6:45-10:00 Monday-Friday. Swim Meets are held on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings throughout Northern Virginia until the end of July, with our All Star meet on August 6, 2016.
The ideal candidate would have head coaching experience, strong leadership and communication skills, the ability to connect with children from grades K-12, and an infectious enthusiasm for the sport of swimming. The candidate will work closely with Board members and junior coaching staff to carry out the many day-to-day responsibilities of the coaching staff.
The responsibilities of the job include:
• Promote a fun, safe, and team-oriented environment
• Be a role model for the swimmers, especially in the older age groups
• Identify age- and skill-appropriate drills for each age group to include stroke, starts, turns, etc…
• Plan and run practices for each age group
• Maintain control and safety of swimmers
• Provide stroke technique instruction to beginning, intermediate, and advanced swimmers
• Coordinate logistics for each swim meet for swimmers and parents
• Prepare meet lineups (Hy-Tek experience desired)
• Review meet results (including disqualification issues) and work with swimmers to improve performance
• Maintain organization of swimmers prior to and during swim meets (At developmental Wednesday meets and competitive Saturday meet)
• Work with the Board to organize and attend themed pep rallies, as well as other various team-sponsored social activities
• Provide an encouraging environment while fostering learning and team spirit
• Willingness to get in the water to fine tune stroke mechanics
• Help with setup and breakdown of all practices and swim meets
• Assist in the hiring of assistant and junior coaching staff (as needed), and managing staff throughout the season
• Experience as a head coach, or extensive experience as an Assistant Coach
• US Swim Coach Certification or equivalent
• Valid CPR/AED, First-Aid certification
• College Degree (preferred)
• Strong organizational skills
• Effective communications skills (for children and parents)
• Letters of Recommendation (3)
Salary commensurate with experience.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
For more information on our team, visit our website at www.fortmyersquids.com.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates, please forward your resume and a letter of interest to Chris Spranger, FMST President ([email protected]).
Swimming News / Swimming Job is courtesy of Fort Myer Swim Team.
The fee to post a Swim Job is $50. If you have an open position in the Aquatic Jobs / Lifeguard Jobs market, submit here.