DePauw University is accepting applications for a Graduate Assistant/Assistant Coach for Women’s Swimming and Diving. This is a renewable, 10-month appointment; the typical candidate will spend at least two years in this position. DePauw University is an NCAA Division III institution completing in the North Coast Athletic Conference and has placed 3rd at the NCAC conference championships. The DePauw women’s swimming and diving program has been represented in the NCAA championship tournament 22 times and in 2014, finished 15th.
This position serves as the primary assistant for the women’s swimming and diving program and it is an excellent position to gain hands-on coaching experience and learn all facets of collegiate coaching. The graduate assistant/assistant coach will gain experience in all facets of program management including recruiting, practice and meet preparation, student-athlete development, and administrative responsibilities related to running a successful program. The goal of DePauw’s graduate assistant/assistant coach program is to prepare candidates for a successful career in coaching. A stipend, on-campus housing and tuition remission are available to the successful /
● Understand and comply with NCAA Division III, conference and University rules and regulations.
● Demonstrate a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes.
● Demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and a commitment to a diverse community.
● Along with the head coach, implement a comprehensive recruiting plan for the identification and recruitment of qualified student-athletes.
● As directed by the head coach, schedule games, make transportation and lodging arrangements for team travel.
● As directed by the head coach, develop and implement plans and strategies for practices and competition.
● Assist with managing the women’s swimming and diving operating budget,
● Assist with evaluating program effectiveness.
● Monitor student-athletes’ academic progression.
● Other duties as assigned by the head women’s swimming and diving coach and/or Director of Athletics.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Collegiate experience competing in swimming and diving highly desirable.
● Candidate must have demonstrated exceptional organizational and time-management skills.
● A valid U.S. driver’s license is required and candidate must be able to drive on behalf of the University.
● Current certification in First Aid/CPR/AED must be held by date of hire and must be maintained throughout their appointment with DePauw University.
● Excellent communication skills.
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, Google Apps, and other programs as determined by specific sport responsibilities.
● Commitment to and history of strong belief in mentoring students and demonstrated experience working with young adults.
● Desire to work in a rural, small-school environment devoted to providing liberal arts education, building community, and helping students prepare for their future careers.
● Preference will be given to candidates who desire a career in coaching.
HOW TO APPLY
Contact Head Coach, Ben Hewitt ([email protected]) with any questions.
DePauw University is a nationally recognized liberal arts university set on a beautiful campus of 695 acres in west central Indiana. DePauw also includes one of the nation’s oldest schools of music is dedicated to academically challenging and socially engaging students from across the country and around the globe.
DePauw Women’s Swimming has had a strong history of academic and athletic excellence. Four graduates have earned the prestigious NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship. The program has been a CSCAA Scholar All-American team every semester since 1990. We finished 15th at the 2014 Div. III NCAA Championships and have scored at NCAA’s 22 seasons.
Swimming News / Swimming Job is courtesy of Depauw.