Rhode Island at Providence
- Rhode Island def. Providence 155-102
- Providence, R.I.
- Nov. 7, 2018
Courtesy: Rhode Island Athletics
Rhode Island has now earned a 5-0 start to its season after handing Providence a 155-102 loss Wednesday night. The Rams won 11 of the 16 individual events.
The Rhody freshmen had a strong showing throughout the meet. Keely Hemminger won both the 200-meter and 400-meter freestyle events, while classmate Kaitlyn Bansky took home the 50-meter and 100-meter backstroke events. Bansky also was a member of the Rhode Island quartet that won the 200-meter medley relay.
Alyssa Campone earned a first-place finish in the 1-meter dive with a season-best 232.57, with teammate Cameron Murray coming up second.
A win next weekend would mark the first time in program history that the Rams have started off 6-0.
Standouts from the Pool:
- The team of Kaitlyn Bansky, Nicole Petta, Caitlin Guccione and Maddie Horner won the 200-meter medley relay. The other two Rhody entries rounded out the top three.
- Junior Caitlin Guccione finished the day with two individual wins in the 50-meter and 100-meter butterfly events.
- Senior Grace Kneller beat junior teammate Mackenna Dunn by 0.01 seconds to win the 50-meter freestyle.
- Sophomore Brooke Kelley earned a first-place finish in the 100-meter breaststroke.
- Senior Nicole Petta won the 50-meter breaststroke.
“This was a good meet for us to get out of our comfort zone a little, since it’s a Short Course Meters pool which we don’t normally compete or train in. It took some of the pressures off times.. the girls just had to get up and race.” -Assistant Coach Lilli Falconer
The Rams will return home to the Tootell Aquatic Center, hosting the 23rd annual Harold Anderson Invitational. The three-day meet begins Friday, Nov. 16 at 5:30 p.m. and ends on Sunday, Nov. 18. Rhode Island will welcome Assumption, Bryant, Holy Cross, Maine and Providence.
Courtesy: Providence Athletics
Providence, R.I. – The Providence College Friars women’s swimming and diving team took on the University of Rhode Island Rams on Wednesday, Nov. 7. The Friar women were defeated by the Rams, 155-102.
University of Rhode Island 155, Providence College 102
Taylor Natatorium | Providence, R.I.
-100 Meter Freestyle | Lauren Zawacki (Marshfield, Mass.) | 1:00.29 |1st
-100 Meter IM | Kathryn Presley (Avon Lake, Ohio) | 1:10.42 |1st
-200 Meter Freestyle Relay | Katie Thornton (Fairfield, Conn.), Margie Keenan (Summit, N.J.), CJ McCartin (Coral Springs, Fla.), Lauren Zawacki | 1:52.66 | 1st
The Friars return to the pool on Nov. 16, as they travel to Kingston, R.I. for the Harold Anderson Invitational.